Help! Visiting a kindergarten class tomorrow

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, attention span is usually low, so I'd say all the important things in the first 5 minutes. Maybe you could do a scenario if there are any brave ones in the crowd, putting him on the stretcher and listening to his heart sounds, so they can see it doesn't need to be a scary experience. You could get a helper to apply pressure to a wound. That way you get to show off some of the cool tools.

If you have a partner, you could break it in two, so you each group does a scenario. When you're starting yours, your partner could be on part II showing the driving part and the buttons and stuff.

Yup, attention span is usually low, so I'd say all the important things in the first 5 minutes. Maybe you could do a scenario if there are any brave ones in the crowd, putting him on the stretcher and listening to his heart sounds, so they can see it doesn't need to be a scary experience. You could get a helper to apply pressure to a wound. That way you get to show off some of the cool tools.

Actually, a very good idea. I find with these age groups, the kids are usually pretty timid at first, but if you ask them to start going through stuff, they open right up!

But as Anthony mentioned, one thing I've always found quite helpful is to perform skill-related demonstrations on the kids. Pull out the O2 masks and turn on the oxygen for a bit to get the hissing sound, apply the cardiac monitor daisies, lay themd own and strap to a backboard and get volunteers to let you apply this stuff to them. Not only does it spark their interest and let you talk about it in a controlled, no stress environment, it also gives the kids a heads up incase (heaven forbid) they're ever involved in an incident where we really need to do these things.

peace

Quit the panic mode - this is probably the best audience you will EVER have. Everything is new to them, and the interest will blow you away. Small secrets?

1. Keep your topics short - attention span is not great.

2. Be ready for the weirdest questions "When I grow up I wanna be a dump truck"

3. Have stuff they can touch - the siren is cool, but NRBs, Saline bags, etc will keep them ocupied. The best thing ever will be a stethoscope - bring along a bunch. They will listen to heartbeats for hours.

4. Keep the teacher happy - Go over basic home safety rules, and ask questions that will let the class smarties show their stuff.

This will be fun. I bet you come out of there feeling wonderful, and will also have a much better understanding of little ones.

Don't be intimidated, it will be the best audience you would ever have :lol: !

First of all, they would love you no matter what. They would really listen, even if for a short time. They would be honest with their replies.. And they would remind you of something.. :wink:

Secondly, many kids think that ambulances are cool (.. for the same reasons adults do - it flashes and makes interesting noises), they would be fascinated by your uniform and most of all by YOU - being someone they have never met before.

Remember that and be less afraid :lol:.

In my opinion you should not worry too much about WHAT to say, but HOW to say it - if talking much at all. At this age the main thing is that you are THERE. You will do most of the job by just showing up. They would look at the ambulance; it would be branded in their memory as "a good thing", together with someone nice who came to visit them once. No need to get too technical (but you can show all the "stuff" to them without trying to explain big words). Their perception of injury or death is different than ours, and that is a good thing.. no need to try and mess with it. If you really want, you could all first stay inside while talking about the 911 number, telling them you and your friends at the ambulance sometimes need their HELP and that you TRUST them to know the no. . Don't give too much information at once, check them - if you feel this group already knows the concept of an emergency you can go on telling them when to call and when not to etc. As long as you talk calmly, smile, listen and react to each of them as much as you can, they would appreciate you and not be intimidated. Mention their parents, ask them if they ever talked to them about this and give positive reactions as they answer. Try to add to what they already know. Show them with your tone of voice and body language that you respect what they have to say. If you want one of them to be quiet, or want to correct them, explain why. You will be okay.

20 mins would not be a long time! you'll see.. and having a list of "things to go over" might distract you from noticing the kids. You would have their teacher there (i assume) and he/she will help you.

A group of kindergarten kids means ALOT OF LOVE .. :lol: . You can handle that!

Good luck and have fun,

asy

Quit the panic mode - this is probably the best audience you will EVER have.

Oops.. didn't notice i was repeating you, North.. :oops: lol. sorry!

But it's true!

You've been given a LOT of great information. Just remember the old KISS method. Keep It Simple SIlly. Start with a very simple questoin or 2. Why would you call 911? If you want to make them laugh ask them to give you the number for 911. Explain very simply what happens from the time they dial 911 to the time you respond. Once you get started with a little explanation about EMS and the 911 system then move to showing them the ambulance you'll be suprised how fast the time flies by. Good Luck

P.S. Spell check not working. So if I mess up it's late and I'm tired. I'll check it again tomorrow LOL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.