Shock

Hemorrhage can cause hypovolemic shock. Anything that causes you to have less volume in you blood vessels can cause hypovolemic shock (ie dehydration, third spacing, etc).

Can hemoragic shock lead to hypovolemic shock? Or is Hemoragic only used to describe major blood loss thru the arteries?
Hæmorrhagic shock is hopovolemic shock. As ERDoc said, there are multiple ways to create a hypovolemic state of shock, but hæmorrhagic is one way. And yes, non-arterial bleeding can cause hypovolemia. Such is commonly the case in internal bleeding. Whether venous or arterial, internal or external, it will always be "major."

Hæmorrhagic shock is hopovolemic shock. As ERDoc said, there are multiple ways to create a hypovolemic state of shock, but hæmorrhagic is one way. And yes, non-arterial bleeding can cause hypovolemia. Such is commonly the case in internal bleeding. Whether venous or arterial, internal or external, it will always be "major."

On that note, scalp wounds can be very bad also. They can look minor, but the scalp is so vascularized that they bleed like stink. The pt can bleed out and you will never know because it is pooling in the sheets behind them. I have seen several cases of pts dropping their pressures because of a scalp wound that was not cared for properly.

I am not for sure if this fits but alot of people think that capillary bleeding can not cause hemovolemic shock but from what I remember it can. My instructer gave us a example like a Patient in a motor cycle crash has a large area of road rash. It is a lot of capillary bleeding that if over looked and not watched right can lead to hemovolmic shock. And also they can loose fluid which can lead to hemovolmic shoc, so it is like a two fold thing. that is about the only way I can think that a capillary bleed can lead to hemovolmic shock.

Brock

Up front sorry for my spelling.

Actually, it usually the capillary bed that causes a stage III shock, pre & post capillary sphincters dilate causing blood to pool.. (thus pale skin) we won't get into angiontension I to II and ADH ...lol

R/r 911

Can hemoragic shock lead to hypovolemic shock? Or is Hemoragic only used to describe major blood loss thru the arteries?

Hemorrhagic shock is easier to remember as a form of hypovolemic shock. Hemorrhagic shock is generally the result of hypovolemia, whereas as has been stated, hypovolemia can be caused by a number of other causes.

Hypovolaemia is a state of inadequate perfusion due to either:-

Absolute Hypovolaemia - a decrease in blood volume caused by *Blood loss *Plasma loss (burns) *Fluid or electrolyte loss with vomiting etc.

Relative Hypovolaemia - increase in size of the vascular bed (vasodilation) - Neurogenic shock, Drug overdose, anaphylaxis, sepsis etc

hope this helps