Has anyone out there had the grand experience of using the EZ IO, we are preparing to launch it's use in the field here and I would like to hear anyones likes or dislikes on the use of this item. [web:30fb9e5b32]http://www.vitaid.com/canada/ez-io/index.htm[/web:30fb9e5b32]

I personally have not used the EZ I/O. I have used the FAST for sternals though. I know that OKC EMSA and the OKC Fire Squads have the Easy I/O and from the reports I have heard really like them. As well, they have been studying them in sports medicine at Oklahoma University (OU) for the past couple of years using them on conscious patients. The results were impressive that they rated the pain almost = to peripheral I.V.'s Some of the conclusions were that to place 1-2mg of Lidocaine in the 1000ml of fluid because of the "pressure" pain from using a rapid infuser and the amount of pressure needed as it goes into to the cavity and pressure of the perioustem.

Be safe,

r/r 9111

I was first exposed to this wonderful tool when I was working with Acadian in Louisiana after the storms. It is great! We also had it on our helo on my overseas contract. I have nothing negative to say about it. You will love it. Using this tool, you can have an IO placed quicker than you could ever do an IV. I think back to all the pts over the years that truly needed an IV and I was unable to get one, how they would have benefitted from this device. It is so quick and easy to use and much less troublesome than the FAST, cause I have used that one as well. I am a convert and until science proves otherwise, I will push every service I work for here on out to get one.

As a side note, the manufacturer recommends changing batteries after ten uses...a use is considered turning it on and testing it, so you need to keep a good log and fresh batteries on hand.

Quite honestly, I dont remember with Acadian. I think it was the tibia( I was there back in Sept and Nov, shortmemory sorry).

With our flight program we could use either or.

We are getting these in the very near future. The first land service in Ontario (I believe) to ever have them.

Looking forward to using it. We used the Jamshidi IO before, and for pediatrics only.

It will be interesting to see how the easy IO works out. The US Army went with the FAST and I have to say that I love it. (Easy access in seconds) I also agree that most people only report pain comparable to a peripheral IV, but the actual infusion of fluids into the bone cavity causes more pain than a peripheral infusion. I agree with the other posts that IO technology is the way to go. I have limited experience with the BIG and I believe the Army considered using this device, but went with the FAST because the sternum is much less likely to get injured in combat. (Body Armor)

Take care everybody,

chbare.

Thanks for the input folks it is appreciated. Looks as if this will be an asset for my service overall. I would have thought more people might have seen it in action though. I only wish i could convince our medical director to go with the tibial sight rather than the humeral head.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.