I need help for a project

kdy

Hello!

I am doing a project for my EMTB class and I was hoping you guys could help me out.

I am writing an essay about the amount of detail that the training books go into for the EMT Bs.

Do you think that the book goes into too much detail or not enough? For instance, should you know about the different types of respiratory diseases if you are going to treat them all the same way? Do you think you would understand the treatment better if you understood the mechanism of disease more completely? Any response would be great.

Thanks for your help! I would appreciate if you would give me permission to quote you in my essay.

I'm not really sure how much detail the current EMT-B books go into, but the more detail the better. Yes, its true that you will try all respiratory distresses the same way - oxygen. However, understanding the pathophysiology of the diseases will give you a better understanding of how to expect the patient to present and how likely they might decompensate en route to the hospital. Maybe if 'flash' pulmonary edema is discussed in more depth I might start seeing more EMT-Bs covering CHF patients up when its cold outside.

This is the same case with other disorders. You really can't know too much.

Devin

Welcome to the Asylum kdy.

I'm not sure what text you are using, but I can tell you that the text I used for Basic was woefully inadequate. It has been discussed here ad nauseam about the " dumbing down " of the EMT-B curriculum, and the reason for it. The other day in class we were discussing shock and treatments of. Some of the students were unaware there were more than 3 types of shock. I'm sure the long time medics and EMT's here will remember the acronym " Shrimpcan " for evaluating shock. Another example I remember from the text we used was when to start compressions on a newborn. The text mentions when to start ventilation's, but nowhere does it mention compressions. This question was on the NC exam too.

Treatment of Medical pt's is limited as a Basic. As you are aware, in your example of respiratory distress your limited to high flow O2 and a diesel bolus and perhaps assisted nitro for said pt. Should you know how to treat and evaluate different types of respiratory distress? Absolutely!!!! It will only help you be a better EMT and medic should you wish to continue that far.

Where Basics get to use their skill set is in a trauma setting. Splinting, hemorrhage control, c-spine control etc.

I hope this was some help to you.

Good luck with class.

Yes, the EMT-B books/courses are too shallow. Sure, O2 is the drug of choice for the basic, but if your working BLS (be it out in the boondocks or IFT), you will also have to make the decision to call for ALS or transport L/S. These are big decisions to make that will not only affect the patient, but also the entire EMS system. What would happen if every CHF patient that presented with rales got an ALS unit? How far from the normal ranges of V/S should the point where you call medics be at? Is 30 reps/min bad? Sure, its elevated, but you need to look at the whole picture. As long as rales is just "crackling meaning they have some fluid in their lungs" is the extend lung sounds are covered, then it's not enough education to properly evaluate a patient.

Shrimpcan? My class was taught CHOD (yes, it was a FF/paramedic). Cardiogenic, hypovolemic, obstructive, distributive.

Shrimpcan? My class was taught CHOD (yes, it was a FF/paramedic). Cardiogenic, hypovolemic, obstructive, distributive.
Sure, Shrimpcan, here ya go,

S- Septic

H - Hemotaric

R - Respiratory

I - Insulin

M- Metabolic

P- Psychogenic

C- Cardiogenic

A- Anaphalaxis

N- Nervogenic

We learned this the other day and was told " Old School " medics use this. Pretty cool I think.

Be safe out there.

Maybe if 'flash' pulmonary edema is discussed in more depth I might start seeing more EMT-Bs covering CHF patients up when its cold outside.

After having a pt that experienced flash PE I attempted to do as much reading on it as I could. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I can't find any info on the net relating specifically to flash PE as we would be concerned about it. Lots about with liver and kidney problems but nothing about simple C/P that turns into flash PE.

Can anyone help me?

The whole Basic EMT text (all books) is horrible. They all are written under a high school Freshmen reading level, (most are 6'th grade). How can we expect a general knowledge of EMS with such shallow and pathetic resources?.

Be safe,

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.