Noloxone...should EMT-I's be able to administer?

Should EMT-I's be able to administer Narcan?  

63 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no, it's should be a paramedic drug only
    • undecided

I know there's a lot of controversy over Romazicon. Our protocols only allow for adm. if we caused the problem. Which honestly, is the only time I could think of wanting to use it. I understand that situation shouldn't happen in the first place but, adverse reactions do happen. I've never seen it used and, I'm not complaining. Personally, I just feel more comfortable with an extra tool in the box if I need it.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there's a lot of controversy over Romazicon. Our protocols only allow for adm. if we caused the problem. Which honestly, is the only time I could think of wanting to use it. I understand that situation shouldn't happen in the first place but, adverse reactions do happen. I've never seen it used and, I'm not complaining. Personally, I just feel more comfortable with an extra tool in the box if I need it.

So iatrogenic benzo OD/hypersensitivity? I assume this is going to be post benzo admin for seizures (generally). That is fine, if they are that obtunded that they aren't oxygenating properly/not handling secretions then intubate them and drive to the hospital.

Not trying to pick a fight but, did you take the I/99 prior to your medic class?

I'm not finished with medic class yet, which I stated. I'm just speaking from my experiences so far. And as I also previously stated, I haven't seen much differerce. Why do I compare the I/99 to paramedic level medicine? Because @ least around here, I AM an ALS provider. I work a code the same, I handle a Sz. the same, I handle resp. distress the same. It's not just "cookbook" medicine either. I consider the pathophysiology of what's going on with my pt., as I'm sure you do. I understand how/why my drugs are affecting my pts. I also understand why my pts. may or may not need my interventions.

Like I said I'm not trying to fight. But from my own personal experiences the 2 levels are closer together than everybody on here makes them out to be.

Why do I compare the I/99 to paramedic level medicine? Because @ least around here, I AM an ALS provider. I work a code the same.

So an an I if your pt goes from VTach to PEA you are authorized to use full ACLS protocols? You can push Amiodarone, Vasopressin, Epinephrine, Magnesium Sulfate, Procainamide or any other drugs which may be necessary (depending on what the pt goes between)? Also you know how they work and why as an "I" (not using any of your medic class information)?

This is an honest question. I would really like to know the answer to this one.

So an an I if your pt goes from VTach to PEA you are authorized to use full ACLS protocols? You can push Amiodarone, Vasopressin, Epinephrine, Magnesium Sulfate, Procainamide or any other drugs which may be necessary (depending on what the pt goes between)? Also you know how they work and why as an "I" (not using any of your medic class information)?

This is an honest question. I would really like to know the answer to this one.

+1. If you've covered so much in your I class, I'm curious as to what the rest of the time spent in paramedic school is used for? It's not just practice. On paper, an Intermediate is an ALS provider. However, in practice (in Connecticut) they are vastly different. Please, tell me what your I class required for didactic's and clinicals? I would be shocked if it's even one quarter of the time spent in paramedic school. My questions remains...if you can think like a medic, and the practices are so similar then why bother going to paramedic school? You're already practicing the medicine. What incentive is there? And more specifically, what is gained? I'm not trying to pick a fight either. I just want to know. As I've mentioned, I spent more time sitting in A&P then the length of the full I course in Connecticut. How is it that an intermediate can come out with the same depth of knowledge and understanding in less than the time spent studying A&P alone?

Shane

NREMT-P

Because they don't know how to spell it, let alone know its indications, contraindications, dosage, route, etc. etc.

The problem isn't so much EMT-I's giving Narcan, its an EMT-I evaluating and treating a person with decreased respirations, decreased heart rate, decreased mental status, and pinpoint pupils with Narcan. What if the person was in cardiogenic shock really and it just looked like and overdoes? How would you know at the EMT-I level? What if you wasted precious time with this patient giving narcan rather than calling for medic back up and/or initiating transport? That's why EMT-I's don't get to play with the meds.

So... Around here our Intermediates are allowed to administer Narcan. But..... and there is a big but....they are only allowed to give it in a can't intubate can't ventilate situation (just like the paramedics) and they need to cantact medical control.

I think we have a little different phylosophy around here because the only time we break out the narcan is if the patient is in imminant danger of dying and we have exausted all other treatment options.

You can give narcan intra nasal by a mucosal atomiser which works just as quick as IV, and is safer for those administering it! I would have thought as it is a non invasive procedure that EMT's should be able to do it that way.........even quaified paramedics prefer this use even if the patient is in resp arrest it is still as effective!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not trying to pick a fight but, did you take the I/99 prior to your medic class?

I'm not finished with medic class yet, which I stated. I'm just speaking from my experiences so far. And as I also previously stated, I haven't seen much differerce. Why do I compare the I/99 to paramedic level medicine? Because @ least around here, I AM an ALS provider. I work a code the same, I handle a Sz. the same, I handle resp. distress the same. It's not just "cookbook" medicine either. I consider the pathophysiology of what's going on with my pt., as I'm sure you do. I understand how/why my drugs are affecting my pts. I also understand why my pts. may or may not need my interventions.

Like I said I'm not trying to fight. But from my own personal experiences the 2 levels are closer together than everybody on here makes them out to be.

Reading this makes me think as to why most states have eliminated (or are currently considering eliminating) intermediate from the scope. Why is it that some people just do not get it? For once I agree with the numerous posts about edu-ma-ka-shun--a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Instead of picking drug X from the box and stating "Why can't I give this, its harmless?" Why not consider giving a little more to the time and effort of becoming a provider who can already give the medication. I know that this has been stated over and over and over and over and over again, but these posts keep coming back!