Noloxone...should EMT-I's be able to administer?

Should EMT-I's be able to administer Narcan?  

63 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no, it's should be a paramedic drug only
    • undecided

What do you think?

I don't think they do, otherwise a quick search on google would have provided enough information for why the drug shouldn't be used by an EMT-I alone.

And Why did you post?

I posted because I felt that someone who was an EMT-I should be allowed to push the drug if they were around an EMT-P because the extra set of hands could be helpful.

And Why is the sky blue?

[web:57f64fe92d]http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/sky_blue.html[/web:57f64fe92d]

Who the hell are you?

I'm Rick James! :lol:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rid - Unfortunately, you're right! Billing > patient care, right?

Nate:

....You're kidding, right?

I hope he's not, as a matter of fact, I'm sure he isn't. All 911 ambulances should be staffed with a least 1 medic. However this has been discussed extensively in previous posts, and in a effort not to get this tread of topic, I urge you to search the forum.

Rid - Unfortunately, you're right! Billing > patient care, right?

Nate:

....You're kidding, right?

No I'm not kidding, and there is no argument out there to suggest any reason why we shouldn't move that way. There are however issues with funding (I'll give you that one). I have yet to actually meet a decent paramedic who thought that paramedics weren't needed for 911 services. However, like Jake said, that is another topic.

Back on topic...

What do yall think about EMT intermediates being able to administer Noloxone to an overdose?

.... At any rate...what to you think about Narcan..... :lol: .... :?:

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. Did I say NO?

As a healthcare professional that is supposed to do no harm, unless you can also give a benzodiazepine, no. Does an Intermediate do this????

On the genius topic of Romazicon, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. Unless you can give a different anticonvulsant like Dilantin, no. Can an Intermediate do this either???

Ever seen a flash pulmonary edema after narcan administration? How would you treat that?

Unless you can accept the fact that there is no 'safe' or 'benign' medication and understand why, then no.

+1. If you've covered so much in your I class, I'm curious as to what the rest of the time spent in paramedic school is used for? It's not just practice. On paper, an Intermediate is an ALS provider. However, in practice (in Connecticut) they are vastly different. Please, tell me what your I class required for didactic's and clinicals? I would be shocked if it's even one quarter of the time spent in paramedic school. My questions remains...if you can think like a medic, and the practices are so similar then why bother going to paramedic school? You're already practicing the medicine. What incentive is there? And more specifically, what is gained? I'm not trying to pick a fight either. I just want to know. As I've mentioned, I spent more time sitting in A&P then the length of the full I course in Connecticut. How is it that an intermediate can come out with the same depth of knowledge and understanding in less than the time spent studying A&P alone?

Shane

NREMT-P

Minus the mag and procainamide yes. I guess if my pt. goes into torsades we're both SOL.

Shane, my I class was the first year of medic class so maybe things were done a little differently than normal. I don't know. Class time was 499 hrs. Clinical/Field time was another 325 hrs. I didn't get along with the administration and it was a long drive so l switched schools.

Why continue?

There are several reasons. First, I want to learn as much as I can. Second, I want to make more money. And lastly, I understand an I/99 isn't a paramedic.

CONTINUED FROM MY PREVIOUS POST

I never said an "I" was a paramedic. Nor do I feel this way. l can tell you however, my knowledge base is closer to (not at) paramedic level than it is basic level. When it comes to interventions, yes, there are things paramedics can do that I can't. I also understand why that is. All I'm trying to say is things aren't black and white. Where I'm at and with my education, I practice very effectively as an ALS provider.

You can give narcan intra nasal by a mucosal atomiser which works just as quick as IV, and is safer for those administering it! I would have thought as it is a non invasive procedure that EMT's should be able to do it that way.........even quaified paramedics prefer this use even if the patient is in resp arrest it is still as effective!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then why shouldn't EMT's be able to administer midazolam IN Hmmmmmm? Seizure's are going to be a more frequent occurrence than opiod OD's. You give too much? Never fear! You have flumazenil in your bag of tricks too! But Fred he's started to seize again, no problem 5mg of diazepam. Diazepam is not working Fred...In tandom "UH OH!!!!!!"

Your "qualified paramedics" should be more concerned about adequately ventilating, oxygenating, and intubating these patients who are in respiratory arrest, before busting out the narcan. And here is the thing, with proper a/w management (normally simply manual or NPA/OPA) and ventilations, most of the opioid OD's that I have seen usually come around quite nicely. If not intubate them, and drive to le hospital. Yes sure, the patients will likely be extubated shortly after being managed there with naloxone or whatever. Much better though in a controlled environment, with multiple staff, more drugs, more restraints, more help...Then in the back of an ambulance with ummmm you.

But you're cool, you can give narcan. It's benign and has no side effects or considerations.

Shane, my I class was the first year of medic class so maybe things were done a little differently than normal. I don't know. Class time was 499 hrs. Clinical/Field time was another 325 hrs. I didn't get along with the administration and it was a long drive so l switched schools.

Hmmm...My class time (didactic) was about double that, and my clinical time (about 150 hours) and preceptorship (about 450 hours) was roughly double yours as well. This was for PCP (BLS).

I can't even start an IV as a PCP, and your asking why you can't give Romazicon?

Wow...