Commercial showing EMS as thieves

I just saw a 2nd commercial on this camera They have this thieving theme goin on.

It has a little girl put some type of glove or soemthing on and she breaks a display window that is protecting the camera in a display case. She steals the camera and that's it.

They must really think this camera is something for people to be stealing it.

I've sent my email and I'm done with it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's funny Michael

I'm also the father of a small child and I'm sending them a letter protesting that they put my child and everyone elses child in a negative light by portraying them as thieves.

I'm not going to get in the middle of the boycott debate - but let's look at a different side of this. EMS services worldwide are contemplating placing cameras in their ambulances to monitor either the driver's and/or the patient compartments, in addition to having digital cameras available to their crews to document vehicle damage - in order to better communicate with ER doctors. I don't know specifically what products Olympus handles at this time - but it does not seem to be a wise business decision to put an entire profession in a bad light - when in fact you may be wanting their business. While not as humerous - same commercial could have shown EMS documenting MVC damage and sharing it with an ER doc - and showed BOTH professions in a more positive light.

That's just my 2¢ worth - having spent two decades in the business world.

BTW, while I don't mind the commercial, I do mind the way some people replied. I think I had a pretty strong response, but I didn't turn it personal. There's no reason to do and can see how such responses can dissuade lukers not to post. We don't have to act like Care Bears with each other...but can we keep it fun?

I'm not going to get in the middle of the boycott debate - but let's look at a different side of this. EMS services worldwide are contemplating placing cameras in their ambulances to monitor either the driver's and/or the patient compartments, in addition to having digital cameras available to their crews to document vehicle damage - in order to better communicate with ER doctors. I don't know specifically what products Olympus handles at this time - but it does not seem to be a wise business decision to put an entire profession in a bad light - when in fact you may be wanting their business. While not as humerous - same commercial could have shown EMS documenting MVC damage and sharing it with an ER doc - and showed BOTH professions in a more positive light.

That's just my 2¢ worth - having spent two decades in the business world.

I'm with you there. I think it would have better served Olympus' purpose to show their product in a positive light. I think that the use of "theft" to catch people's attention is not a good thing period, AND, as it was noted, I did get a number of people's attention. At the same time, how many people who are not involved in EMS, fire or police realise how important it is to have quality cameras in the field to show the doctors in the ER exactly what the patient that was just brought in actually went through?

From other thread on same topic

Olympus would never have dared to this commercial featuring firefighters, nurses or cops.
The reason they wouldn't do it about cops is because there's already the stereotype of corrupt cops, so if they did that it'd probably come off as cop-hating...whereas the public (outside the medical community) pretty much as a high opinion of paramedics, so it would come off more as a joke than as an anti-medic political message. Least in my view.

Maybe it IS worth writing in about, just so they know people don't like it...but I don't think intentions were wrong...commercials make fun of a LOT of stuff...so do movies. One of my favorite shows, 24, made LAPD cops look like complete idiots when it came to gunplay...in reality the LAPD probably has more experience with building searches and shootings because it's so violent there. I just made a comment about it to the people watching and let it roll off my back. Less stress that way.

If people freak out this much about a TV commercial, I hate to see what they would do if they ever saw something that was actually serious in real life. Maybe it is good that these people aren't in any position of authority...over reacting is how wars get started.

Craig, back off.

YOu are accusing me of stealing something in the past. I have never done so.

You are making broad generalizations about me that you have no right to make.

I don't come here and personally attack you so I expect the same consideration from you.

Yes its a commercial but it still made me mad.

Am I going to go out and do something rash, NO I'm going to send a polite email to Olympus expressing my disapproval and leave it at that.

Yes it made me mad, I'm sure that you have been made mad due to a commercial or something you have seen on tv.

It makes our profession look bad and that is unacceptable to me. We spend so much time trying to get a professional image and one commercial can blow it.

So before you come here making personal attacks on me think again.

i was never personally attacking you

i was making a point that some people winge about thing when they are responsible for doing the same thing

do you get upset when people think we still do the big "flip off" on our drugs like gates and desoto did

what i was implying was that people need to take a chill pill

olympus has one this argument as we are all talking about thier cameras due to this ad

i knew a person that did work for an agency that did an ad that was deemed inappropriate and it only aired 4 times. when it was pulled due to complaints, the company said tat they only paid for 6 screenings of the ad, as they knew it would be controversal.

However they were very happy that it caused so much trouble because they got 1/2 million dollars worth of FREE advertising due to all the people talking about it, showing iot on the news, current affairs shows , radio etc.

like i said if this is all you have to worry about, chill out dude.

i appologise if my comment have upset you , i didnt mean to do that

stay safe

I'm over it Craig, no harm done.

I've never stolen anything from a patient in my life and would never consider it so I got a little upset over the commercial and brought it here. If they want to portray our profession as theives so be it. they can do that , that is why our country is so great. I know that my professional career is above reproach so I'm over it, actually I was over it as soon as I sent the email.

It's all good thanks for the reply.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.