Difficulties with Paramedics as EMT's

The part timers I refer to are not thrill seekers. These EMTs as I stated preferred to make a living wage in other professions but still enjoy EMS. They continue w/ their education - receiving Bachelors and Masters in other fields than health care. Not all have gone on to college degrees some went to technical schools. I preferred to stay in EMS. These few EMTs are good. Period. They don't have the desire to become a medic and that's fine.

If you think this isn't valid in this discussion I must disagree by what I've read in this thread.

I have advanced myself, these others have advanced but not in the same line as I have. They do excellent EMT skills and assessment then leave the rest for me.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The part timers I refer to are not thrill seekers. These EMTs as I stated preferred to make a living wage in other professions but still enjoy EMS.

Sounds like a textbook definition of a thrillseeker to me.

Doing something because you "enjoy" it is not professionalism.

Sounds like a textbook definition of a thrillseeker to me.

Doing something because you "enjoy" it is not professionalism.

Considering the poor pay, worse conditions, whiny nurses and medical directors who stop medics from simple care, why else do we do this job besides "we enjoy it?"

WTF is your logic on this one?

Considering the poor pay, worse conditions, whiny nurses and medical directors who stop medics from simple care, why else do we do this job besides "we enjoy it?"

Point taken. :|

But I would say that we do it not because we enjoy it today, but because we want to be a part of the progression of the profession by improving ourselves and, in turn, improving the profession tomorrow. The professionals are here to move this beast to it's ultimate destination, not to just jump on and off when we have something better to do. The professionals are here because we want to see the profession elevated into something that mature, educated, dedicated, full-time professionals are proud to call their career and are rewarded and respected accordingly. The thrill seekers and tourists are just here for a hobby and hope the profession does not progress into a well-educated career job that excludes them. Then they'd have to take up something like bass fishing, where they don't get a spiffy uniform and a siren. And groupies.

It's the difference between being part of the crew on a ship and just being a passenger. Professionals aren't here for the ride. Professionals are here to steer this ship and, if necessary, go down with it.

Point taken. :|

But I would say that we do it not because we enjoy it today, but because we want to be a part of the progression of the profession by improving ourselves and, in turn, improving the profession tomorrow. The professionals are here to ride this thing to it's ultimate destination, not to just jump on and off when we have something better to do. The professionals are here because we want to see the profession elevated into something that mature, educated, dedicated, full-time professionals are proud to call their career and are rewarded and respected accordingly. The thrill seekers and tourists are just here for a hobby and hope the profession does not progress into a well-educated career job that excludes them. Then they'd have to take up something like bass fishing, where they don't get a spiffy uniform and a siren. And groupies.

It's the difference between being part of the crew on a ship and just being a passenger. Professionals aren't here for the ride. Professionals are here to steer this ship and, if necessary, go down with it.

I think your confusing professionals, and leaders.

Leaders / Professionals. I see, and agree with your point. Your terminology is wrong is all.

PRPG

Ah, okay. Perhaps I could further clarify by acknowledging that I am fully aware that many full-time EMS employees of all levels are also worthless slugs who are not professionals. I did not mean to intimate that all full-time employees are worthy of the title of professional. Many of them are just as worthless to us as the tourists and hobbyists.

I obviously am not educated enough or eloquent enough to get my point across and change any ones mindset so I'll let it be and go back to my family and stop posting.

In the end, your point was correct about the silly thrillseekers comment. There are thrillseeker medics, EMTS, medical directors, nurses, the list goes on.

Take a breath, have a drink, and go play with the kids bro, its all good.

OK guy's I wasn't going to post on this one.. have been following it for awhile and reading all the responses to this... and you know All I have seen so far is a bunch of Medic's out here pissing on EMT"s and the few EMT's that have responded have been shredded to pieces on here.... Now correct me if I'm wrong.... But wasn't this suppose to be a posting about EMT's that have problems with Paramedic???????

Yea I think is was not Paramedic's that have problems with EMT"s... And you know reading some of these posting from some of the medic's out there... you guy's really scare me if that how you treat your EMT's... I have know some great EMT over my career as both an EMT and a Medic... And I have worked with some not so great EMT's too, But If I find a problem with them on a call like not knowing how to do something or doing something incorrect. It has always been a rule of my to try and help them, Of course saying that If they do something that I think is not in the best interest of the patient at that time I have spoken up on many occasion Said that what they are doing is not right and try to correct it before something bad has happened. Then after the call I will talk the call over with them and give them pointer on where they went wrong or how they can do something better. it the same with some of the EMT's that I have worked with that are going through Medic School any question they might have I try to answer and If I don't have the answer I try to find it for them It"s all part of the learning Process.

And If they want to stay EMT's then so be it.... Don't dis on them for that... And that all I have to say for now take it for what it is worth to you guys....

Going back to the topic.

The problem is partly that this profession attracts jack asses. The medic gets to be "in charge," "stick things in people," "save people," and "force other people to pull over while you pass." Lets also throw in a basic who's training does not begin to compare to the medic's training. Training will not cure jack ass-itis, but education will weed them out (which leads to the other big problem. Paramedic class washouts who think they're shit don't stink, even though they are still a basic).

A medic who proclaims, "If I'm on board, you're going code 3" is a paragod. [Really, a simple yes would do].

A medic who has you transfer a patient to a competition company because they have a mod and you have a van is a boarder-line paragod [because their approved ambulance is better then my approved ambulance?]

If I go to set up the monitor and you would rather have me take a blood pressure, "Why don't you do your job and take a blood pressure" is not the correct way to ask me. My job includes assisting the medic. I didn't call you because I wanted to play with a monitor. I called you because the idiot RN (grant it, confirmed by the RN at the almost empty ER) told me that the ER 2 blocks away was on divert. [A simple, "could you get me another BP" would have done nicely, though].

The tone is more important then the content.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.