Difficulties with Paramedics as EMT's

Anybody with me in thinking this may be a much bigger problem in private services and non-emergency services than in public services and 911 services? From the descriptions I am hearing, especially that last one, I am really starting to see a pattern. I honestly never, ever saw this happen in nearly five years with a major metropolitan FD EMS. I've only seen it with private companies. And even then, only with private companies that ran a lot of transfers. And, of course, that observation leads to speculation on several causes.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody with me in thinking this may be a much bigger problem in private services and non-emergency services than in public services and 911 services? From the descriptions I am hearing, especially that last one, I am really starting to see a pattern. I honestly never, ever saw this happen in nearly five years with a major metropolitan FD EMS. I've only seen it with private companies. And even then, only with private companies that ran a lot of transfers. And, of course, that observation leads to speculation on several causes.

Naah, this i dont buy. Ive seen it across the board, regardless. Anyone else have different experiences on this?

Mediclease- read my posts, I am currentlt a dumb ol' B and have not yet started medic classes. So I am not bashing B's, but am rather relaying frustration in knowing I could do more but am unable to due to lack of education- something I can and will rectify.

JP- Next time tell them you called them so you did not have to drive code 3 (or signal 10 as it is in Indiana). Most medics don't like code 3 if they can avoid it.

Dust- I have seen very little of the attitudes mentioned here in the fire based systems I deal with.

"The Me Syndrome "

I too am seeing it mainly in services, both public, fire, etc.. The problem is neither employee on the truck is educated or professional, mainly they are in the profession for themselves. We have sent a a couple of people who biggest job, was working the machine shop or 7-11; and they went to a technology school for their ______hour class, or you have one that believes because they are pre-med (Biology degree) now have developed an attitude. Meanwhile, never really realizing they both look & act like idiots. You have one whom that has a "god" like syndrome, then you have the other that is realizing this is the best that life is going to be for them .... and hates life.

Neither having been exposed to real medical care or the non-written rules of being a health care provider. Somewhere down line we have crossed the line of having confidence for competence to cockiness with incompetence. What I see continue to see is a lack of compassion. Compassion for the care to patients, compassion for the profession, compassion of wanting to be the best in their profession. It has been replaced with arrogance, laziness, and basically pure stupidity... and no were not talking test scores.

So many of the newer people entering the profession, never really wanted to do this, this was either the fastest entry program or a stepping stone for another profession, and boy can you sure tell it. The problem as well is it just is not isolated to personal but now seeps over to patient care.

Administration has learned to deal with by having cookbook protocols, computer PCR, and step by step policies. Administration is quite aware that both employees are short timers (<10years) and actually promotes it, to prevent an increase of wages, benefits, and promotions. As long as the procedures or tasks are accomplished, liability is reduced or prevented, all PCR is filled enough to receive payment ... they are happy! Most administration groups have the attitude they are paying you to perform a task..not to think.

This same phenomenon has floated into the hospital arena as well. That is why the average age of the nurse now is 42. So many younger people entering find out it that it will not be about them... but for the patients. Not getting the " attention" they thought would be there, they leave. I have heard physicians say the same of even residents... usually they have too much financial involvement, but as well many are leaving, during residency .

How to solve it ?.. I don't know.. is it misconception of what the job is.. or that is that.."a job/work?".. That it is about the patient, and the procedures and performance should reflect patient care not you... Part of the job is the ability "to work with others".. and do a good job... each time!

I fear we have just seen the tip of the iceberg of the problems...

R/r 911

RidRyder,

I agree completely. There is a pretty severe lack of concern for the pt. It has become a cookie cutter medical world and (not that we are falling behind medically as a nation) we are finding fewer and fewer people who are willing to go above and beyond to find that compassionate caregiver within them. A lack of concern for life and it "not being their emergency" has gotten to the point of being obscene in some areas.

Locally I can tell you that many doctors have stopped reading the journals and stopped caring. They get together in groups so as to afford liability insurance and dish out antibiotics and pain killers like candy at holloween. Example: I took my kid to her pediatrician recently and without seeing an actual doctor an RN (no not a NP) walked in, asked what we thought, wrote a few notes, came back 5 minutes later with a prescription and a "thanks, pay your bill on the way out.". No actual evaluation, no direct contact with a doctor, not even a listen to the chest for breath sounds or to see if the smell on her breath was fruity (a contributing sign to strep throat).

I think the heart of the current day health care provider is going numb. Unfortunately the numbing of society is accompanying this trend. As a whole our parenting skills, our involvement in our children's lives, and our concern for making the world around us a better place is degrading. We as Americans are losing our souls and our identity. We are allowing outside influences to govern our social decisions and that is weakening our character as a people, a nation, as parents, as caregivers; you get the point.

I think it is our responsibility to in some small way improve the world around us. 1 little thing a day like setting an example by showing more compasion than the guy next to you will tell our peers that they are lacking. Let them throw the attititude. You are responsible for you first. Hold yourself and your children to a higher standard. By doing so both you and they will set the example for those we and they come into contact with. We in general have to hold ourselves to a higher standard than the rest of the public. We need to live up to that and try to go beyond.

Food for though ladies and gentlemen.

The Hook

Mediclease- read my posts, I am currentlt a dumb ol' B and have not yet started medic classes. So I am not bashing B's, but am rather relaying frustration in knowing I could do more but am unable to due to lack of education- something I can and will rectify.

I was not refering to you for you are an EMT.. I was refering to all the other medic's on here that are bitching about EMT's, cause for some reason they have forgetten that they were once EMT.....

Actually, there are many that was never a "EMT".... We have several that never worked as a basic in their life...(approximately 1/2 of our staff) including me and that was 29 years ago....

So yes, we are aware of basic procedures but not everyone nor should everyone has to be a basic once in their life to be a good medic...

R/r 911

I was not refering to you for you are an EMT.. I was refering to all the other medic's on here that are bitching about EMT's, cause for some reason they have forgetten that they were once EMT.....

Nope. Apparently you have forgotten that not all EMT's are great. In fact, a very large percentage of them suck as 911 providers. No need for anybody here to get defensive about that if it doesn't apply to them. I don't get bent out of shape when people talk about nurses or medics who suck because I have confidence in myself.

It's a general discussion. You can't take this stuff personal.

Nope. Apparently you have forgotten that not all EMT's are great. In fact, a very large percentage of them suck as 911 providers. No need for anybody here to get defensive about that if it doesn't apply to them. I don't get bent out of shape when people talk about nurses or medics who suck because I have confidence in myself.

It's a general discussion. You can't take this stuff personal.

Mediclease...i will back you on most anything, being that your a semi frequent partner of mine. On this particular point, dust is right on the coin.

RidRyder,

I agree completely. There is a pretty severe lack of concern for the pt. It has become a cookie cutter medical world and (not that we are falling behind medically as a nation) we are finding fewer and fewer people who are willing to go above and beyond to find that compassionate caregiver within them. A lack of concern for life and it "not being their emergency" has gotten to the point of being obscene in some areas.

Locally I can tell you that many doctors have stopped reading the journals and stopped caring. They get together in groups so as to afford liability insurance and dish out antibiotics and pain killers like candy at holloween. Example: I took my kid to her pediatrician recently and without seeing an actual doctor an RN (no not a NP) walked in, asked what we thought, wrote a few notes, came back 5 minutes later with a prescription and a "thanks, pay your bill on the way out.". No actual evaluation, no direct contact with a doctor, not even a listen to the chest for breath sounds or to see if the smell on her breath was fruity (a contributing sign to strep throat).

I think the heart of the current day health care provider is going numb. Unfortunately the numbing of society is accompanying this trend. As a whole our parenting skills, our involvement in our children's lives, and our concern for making the world around us a better place is degrading. We as Americans are losing our souls and our identity. We are allowing outside influences to govern our social decisions and that is weakening our character as a people, a nation, as parents, as caregivers; you get the point.

I think it is our responsibility to in some small way improve the world around us. 1 little thing a day like setting an example by showing more compasion than the guy next to you will tell our peers that they are lacking. Let them throw the attititude. You are responsible for you first. Hold yourself and your children to a higher standard. By doing so both you and they will set the example for those we and they come into contact with. We in general have to hold ourselves to a higher standard than the rest of the public. We need to live up to that and try to go beyond.

Food for though ladies and gentlemen.

The Hook

Meh.............. :dontknow:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.