NASAL NALOXONE

tddubois

Dust wrote:

So you're saying that pre-hospital delivery of Oxygen is an ALS drug? Because last I checked, you need a MD Rx to purchase oxygen for medical use, therefore it becomes a prescribed drug. And pharmacology deals with drugs...so... :roll: ...Oxygen should not be used by EMT Basics??? Because it is now an ALS drug, or so you're implying by your comment.

Now back to the topic...

I recently did a research article on IN Narcan administration and the resource i found stated that 83% of patients that rec'd the IN route came about with one dose, and did not require an IV. The article was actually about reducing needle sticks to 'Paramedics' because there are too many accidental sticks. :angel9: i'm going to keep this thread clean of bashing medics for sticking themselves- since some here rant and rave about being so much more educated then Basics and Intermediates...(guess they need to add more hours into the course- 'how not to stick yourself accidentally') To all you medics who haven't stuck yourself on the box...good job, keep safe! 8)

The first part - I thought Dust and PRPG explained that fairly well. Perhaps it should be reread.

And back to the topic...

Where was your research article posted? Do you do lots of research? Are you credible? Accidental needle sticks suck, yes. Guess what - Accidents do happen, although more steps should be taken to prevent them. There's no need for bashing, because I doubt any Paramedic, or EMS provider at any level who has had an accidental stick needs to be bashed anymore than not knowing what heebee-geebies that they've been exposed to. I don't feel there's any need to further fuel the fire, like you have this great tendency to do. Logically speaking, on a statistical basis [i don't wish needle sticks on anyone] Paramedics should be getting more needle sticks than Basics. Why? In most regions, basics do not use needles, duh. Paramedics are more exposed to the calls that require such ALS, which is why they're more exposed. I thought that was rather apparent. Feel free to correct me if I'm missing something.

And, yeah. Tell me you've never made a mistake before.

And thanks, I do intend to stay safe :-D no sticks for me!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my research article was for a class i was taking. Credible? :dontknow: Well i guess it depends on your perception. My instructor seems to think i am credible, as do other medical professionals in my area who know me and who ride on my box with me. Our local ER/OR docs seem to agree. So you can be the judge. Here is the link to a related article, again showing 83% (granted it was only done on 95 people) IN Naloxone Article Yes, further studies DO need to be done, but this initial research shows great results and fewer needle sticks. Take it for what it's worth.

As for fueling the fire as I 'have this great tendency to do.', I just bring up everyday events/comments that i hear or think about. As for proving my point (see EMT-Intermediates using Naloxone thread..) I did not set out to prove to the forum my perspective. I just brought up a question. And from the poll results, and some comments posted, other Intermediates DO administer the drug. As for Proving the necessity, the thread was split about 50/50 so we'll take that for what it's worth too and let it die. Hopefully this thread will not end up the same because it falls on the same lines...WHO should use it/should it be used.

As for Paramedics getting more accidental needle sticks than basics...I am well aware of this point and you are correct. Paramedics are put into the situation more than a basic should. I never disputed that fact. However, when some paramedics bash EMT's for one reason or another (ie making a mistake), they need to step back and look at what they do wrong too. Nobody's perfect, and I challenge anyone to admit that they have never made a mistake. If anyone is that fool hearted, let him/her speak...I doubt anyone can claim this feat!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.