Pulse oximeters SaO2/SpO2

Can somebody confirm please that SaO2 and SpO2 can be used interchangeably? I am a bit confused with the information provided by the health authorities. They require a NON INVASIVE pulse oximeter with the SaO2 module, and they are saying that there is no typing error. According to the specifications of the oximeter SaO2 looks a lot like SpO2. Can somebody comment please before I get nuts?

Can somebody confirm please that SaO2 and SpO2 can be used interchangeably? I am a bit confused with the information provided by the health authorities. They require a NON INVASIVE pulse oximeter with the SaO2 module, and they are saying that there is no typing error. According to the specifications of the oximeter SaO2 looks a lot like SpO2. Can somebody comment please before I get nuts?

They mean the same thing.

Some people now prefer to use "SaO[sub:4c20fde55f]2[/sub:4c20fde55f]" for O[sub:4c20fde55f]2[/sub:4c20fde55f] sat since SpO[sub:4c20fde55f]2[/sub:4c20fde55f] was sometimes confused with PaO[sub:4c20fde55f]2[/sub:4c20fde55f] obtained from a blood gas measurement.

I agree with Rid on this although the two terms have become synonymous. As for the oxyhemoglobin dissociation curve I just have to say that you should never forget 2,3 DPG, the Bohr and Haldane effects and by all means keep the right shift away from the left.

Just remember that saturation does not equal ventilation.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

Just remember that saturation does not equal ventilation.

Spock

This should be tattooed on every medic's left forearm, so when they intubate they can see this ! This is why I am such a proponent of clinically evaluating patients and using EtCo2 & Sp02 appropiately as adjunct.

Unfortunatley, we have abandoned teaching oxygen-Hgb curve.. we are to worried to teach them to use of Epi pens, activiated charcoal, etc.. that they might use every 10 years !

R/r 911

I used to teach the cardiology and respiratory sections of a community college paramedic class but stopped a few years ago. I included many things that were valuable in order to properly assess and treat patients but the students only wanted to know what was on the test because if it wasn't they weren't going to study it. I had students get angry with me for not giving them the answers to the test! Heaven forbid they should open a book, read or study. I'm afraid this is true of most education today and not just the paramedic classes.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

So true.. we just started implementing EtCo2 as a routine procedure. I have a video lecture from Dr. Krauss, when he gave a lecture locally it is about 2 hrs long. You thought it was the end of the world, when I required them to attend. Fortunately, they have seen the need and the benefits of understanding the capability of your equipment and of course good sound clinical examination and judgement. More than the .. we use it for :__________

Whenever and if EMS matures into a true profession and maybe we can recruit professional minded people. Hopefully, medical school students don't complain about learning new things and ideas !

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.