God Bless the Broken Road....

EMSFrog

This is hopefully a fresh topic for the board. What is it that lead everyone to EMS and what were their lives like prior to arriving here.Did EMS make life more or less fulfilling? Personally during childhood I wanted to be a policemen(police explorer from age 14-17).Then I started working on racecars at age 17, because I was too young to fulfill that dream. After several years of rebellious drinking and partying, I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in public service after all.Due to an accident I had been in and my seeming lack of desire to be a jack@$$ I decided that EMS was the best way to help people without occasionally having to act like a macho d*** being part of my job description, and i came to find that medicine was fascinating.

Well...let's see. For me, there was never a question. When I was just a little girl, I had a shiny metal peddle firetruck complete with bell, ladder and gear. I used to go outside and play firefighter...putting out infernos with the garden hose, after responding in my bright red truck. I owned an Emergency board game, and watched Johnny and Roy faithfully... I would go outside and re-enact their dilemmas with much gusto. As I grew up, I played "paramedic" to all the neighborhood dogs and cats by splinting tails that were "broken", wrapping paws because if not...well...we might have to amputate, God forbid..., as well as fixing "broken" turtle shells with band-aids, birds, my own fish (YIKES...yes I killed a few in the process), squirrels, and even the neighborhood kids ( :roll: but we won't talk about that part....mu ha ha ha ha).

I was constantly using ACE bandages to wrap everyone's life threatening (LMAO) injuries that I noticed as they sat calmly (with no obvious injuries). My family simply learned to put up with me. I volunteered as soon as I possibly could with the local fire department, and became an EMT. I went to school...for something sensible...concentrating on Psychology. I then started studying pre-law...all the while...my heart aching because all I really wanted to do was to be a trauma surgeon, or a paramedic.

As I got older...I got NRMA certification and began working in a Pediatric office. At some point, it occurred to me that life is way too short. I said, screw everything..after many thousands of dollars spent on college for things that I could care less about. I followed my dreams...and began working the ER while looking for a job. I loved ER...got lots of good experience...and then found field jobs...began teaching....started flying...and now I'm ready to move on even further to be a flight medic, as well as work the truck.

I don't regret my decision for a second. Once again, as I've said a million times...it's where my heart is. I truly have Emergency! and James Page and Norman McSwain (My heroes.....lmao) to thank for where I am today.

WHOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!

xoxoxo

Luv, 8

Worked for years as a volunteer firefighter - We attended far too many MVCs where we were on scene for a long time without any EMS help - It was scary and frustrating, especially when we would show up and people would relax because the "pros" were there. To make up for some of that, took the courses available during my (limited) free time, and enjoyed it so much that it is gradually becoming a career. Began working EMS part-time, and am increasing it as I edge closer to retirement from my "regular" job.

I'm a brand spankin' new EMT... as a matter of fact, today was my first day.

What got me here... Car accident when I was younger. Couldn't tell you what it was, but I knew after being strapped to that board that for some reason, I wanted to be part of the calvary :) I just knew from that point on. When my first born was 13 months old he choked on something and we had to call 911. The fact that I didn't know what to do really hit home, and I decided that this was more than something I wanted to do eventually... Unfortunately, it took five more years for me to enroll in the EMT course.

BTW, my youngest was really choking last week... She's also 13 months old, coincidentally... My husband flipped out and wanted to call 911. I knew what to do. This time... thank God.

It felt good to know what to do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.