follow up question on ontario paramedic schools

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Academics and experience are certainly factors, but I think I can conclude that the most important thing is how hot the instructors are if I'm to slut myself out to the faculty. Is there an oddball poll out there that rates the hotness factor of the paramedic faculties? Any recommendations SooC? :D:P

I have access to this oddball poll. It is actually quite scientific. Please post your pic here and/or PM me one and I'll make sure it gets to the proper polling authorities.

Consider this.... Ottawa EMS, if they hire you, is FT only. Going to Algonquin would (presumably) increase your chances of getting hired there. So if you want FT as your first job, go to Algonquin

Toronto only hires FT as well. No PT here.

hey there well a friend is a re-tired medic of almost 40 years and she told me that centenial is a hard school so tld me but..... how ever the exsperience you get fromthe toronto medics there dureing your co-op and with your preceptor is amazeing they really give you what you need and over pre-pare you as well and desenceatize you from vomit,blood and all that cool stuff that come with the job. she also told me for ANY medic course if you can. take an EMT course pre-hand its reallt costly but sooo worth the knowledge so that when you go for your final exame for the national or canadian testing you have sooo much knowledge you shouldnt have any thing to worrie over but humber is a greta college you may wanyt to look at conestoga college for i am there and they off an amazeing programe and i have been told by diffrent paramedics that they have the BEST pcp and acp program just soem thing to look in to.... hope i helped a little good luck

hey there well a friend is a re-tired medic of almost 40 years and she told me that centenial is a hard school so tld me but..... how ever the exsperience you get fromthe toronto medics there dureing your co-op and with your preceptor is amazeing they really give you what you need and over pre-pare you as well and desenceatize you from vomit,blood and all that cool stuff that come with the job. she also told me for ANY medic course if you can. take an EMT course pre-hand its reallt costly but sooo worth the knowledge so that when you go for your final exame for the national or canadian testing you have sooo much knowledge you shouldnt have any thing to worrie over but humber is a greta college you may wanyt to look at conestoga college for i am there and they off an amazeing programe and i have been told by diffrent paramedics that they have the BEST pcp and acp program just soem thing to look in to.... hope i helped a little good luck

Ummmm....what?

I'm having the exact same problem with choosing schools also, not a problem I really expected to face considering the stress i put myself through thinking I wouldn't even get accepted into one college. I've heard from a bunch of medics here in southwestern ontario that a lot of regions aren't too biased towards certain colleges, as long as you have a diploma and a decent mark. I recently confirmed to Georgian college just because of living conditions and I want to work up in the simcoe region, but I am still considering possibly changing my mind. What you should do is phone the college and talk to the coordinator of the program and just ask what their paramedic program has to offer, and see how well the instructors line up. I mean most of them should be ACP's if not CCP's.

Umm ... first of all, level of certification does not equate to quality instructional skills.

Why does it matter that if you are taking a PCP course that your instructor is ACP or CCP? I know plenty of variable levels of medics who are genuine instructors, as they've developed those skills of being able to relate the material to the learner. Quite the contrary as well ... many paramedics who get frustrated teaching because some people can't apply it fast enough (myself included).

peace

Who's the program co-ordinator at Georgian now?

My preceptor was an ACP, and I ended up having some difficulties defining my own role as a student in the middle of all these ALS procedures. Worked out ok in the end, but it would have been nice to be with a PCP/PCP crew.