Bledsoe's Critical Care Paramedic Text...

vs-eh?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have received my CCP text. I have not read the entire text as of yet.

Nice hard cover, over 1000 pages, takes for granted you have basics down, which is nice. Goes into some detail on some pathophysiology & mechanisms. Good color graphics to express some difficult topics (i.e Kreb's Cycle & Sodium/K+ pump) etc.. RSI very simple, but detail enough to get the "gest" of it. Section on lab data, central lines, detailed cellular shock patho, and routine ICU meds, as well as basic hemodynamic stuff.. Would make an excellent book to teach and accompany an CCP course. Definitely, a book every Paramedic needs to keep as a reference.

Shame that this could not be encompassed into the regular Paramedic programs. Hopefully, more institutions will develop CCP course (no, not the Maryland EMS 2 week program). A course using this ans some other accompany text for a 8 to 16 week course, would be excellent and definitely improve the care we give and our image as well Ironically, it addresses that the ONLY CCP test is the Flight Paramedic for critical care.. (I knew that, but so many differ).

It's worth the $ 60- $70 ... yeah, it falls short on many topics, but have not yet seen a perfect EMS book.

Good job Dr. Bledsoe and et. all

Be safe,

R/r 911

Both... A college is contracting me to develop a CCP course. I recommended having both text. The Bledsoe volume is geared for the field and does meet the basic criteria, but lacking in some of the ICU knowledge, where as ICU is laking of course in pre-hopsital setting and equipment and general operations of the CCP. Approximately $150 is not too bad for 2 good resources...

R/r 911

• 2 weeks later...

Our friends the Air and Surface Transport Nurses Association (ASTNA, formerly the NFNA) put out this book which I think is a very good resource without all the hyperbole of the CCN textbook. 0323017010.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg I used this to go thru the TNATC course they put on and me likes it.

LINK at Amazon.com

I also have a copy of Bledsoe's new book and have throughly enjoied reading it. It is good at visually charting and tabling key concepts. It is probably better that the Holleran book above in its clarity and use of copy/graphics. Compared to the jumbled three ring binder of stuff UMBC gives out for the CCEMT-P course, any commercially-produced text is an improvement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.