Detroit Screws Up Again, Kills Another Person

That makes me wanna go and vomit in the mayors desk at city hall in Detroit. By all means the dispatcher should be disciplined. I know that this does not happen a lot. But when is too many times too many? How many more have to suffer to such stupidity?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :x :x :P:P It happens WAY TO MUCH IN DETROIT!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :x :x :P:P

THERE'S A LONG LIST OF DOCUMENTED EXAMPLES IN THE MEDIA SAD BUT TRUE!!! There is no excuse for this and people should be burned at the stake for this, or perhaps tarred and feathered...well you get the point, this pisses me off...

ACE

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Mr. Bill O’Reilly

I am writing to you as an a member of the group International Consortium of Concerned Pre-Hospital Clinicians ( ICCPHC ) and a concerned professional Emergency Medical Technician. I would like to bring to your attention an issue, which has quietly catalyzed the Emergency services community. Recently Fox News and the National news media have been reporting on an incident in Detroit where a 911 Dispatcher refused to send any sort of Emergency aid to a 6yo boy whose mother was in trouble, and due to this dispatchers negligence the boys mother died! I have also learned through the press and colleagues that this particular dispatcher will be able to remain on the job as the union representative for Detroit EMS states; “the dispatcher would not be terminated because of her years of faithful service to the city.” This is a disgrace and I wonder how many other times something like this has happened with this "faithful servant of the city".

In addition to this incident there has clearly been a disturbing trend in Detroit of similar occurrences over the last 5 years. Examples of this can be found here:

1.) http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006604110321 , Death of Detroit boy's mom results in lawsuit

April 11, 2006

BY MARISOL BELLO, FRANK WITSIL and JOE SWICKARD

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS; Contact JOE SWICKARD at 313-222-8769 or jswickard@freepress.com.

2.) here’s a website with both the tapes and a video interview with the union reps statements above. http://www.911dispatch.com/db/index.php

3.) http://www.clickondetroit.com/index.html

Detroit Boy's 911 Call Considered Prank; Mother Dies ; http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006604100335

Audio of 911 tapes also available at that link.

911 death suit expected

Fieger: Boy's mom would be alive if operators took calls

4.) Here’s an example of some of the horrific EMS care provided there:

Qualified Immunity Shields Detroit EMTs from Claims

Health Law Week

The Sixth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals held that two emergency medical technicians (EMTs) were entitled to qualified immunity because a gunshot victim set forth no facts supporting a constitutional claim for violation of due process as a result of allegedly deficient emergency care.

Alter Keith Jackson was shot on Sept. 16, 2000 and two EMTs from the Detroit Fire Department were dispatched to the scene, where they found Jackson alive but bleeding profusely. The EMTs placed Jackson in their ambulance, but they did not administer life support or transport him to a trauma center. Jackson died in the ambulance.

Jackson's mother sued the EMTs in their personal capacity, alleging that they violated her son's due process rights by failing to provide proper emergency care. Jackson also alleged that the EMTs' conduct amounted to a state-created danger, thereby triggering a right to medical care. The EMTs moved for dismissal, arguing that they enjoyed qualified immunity against Jackson's claims. The district court denied the motion, and the EMTs appealed.

The Sixth Circuit held that the EMTs were entitled to qualified immunity. First, the Sixth Circuit held that, generally, it is not a constitutional violation for a state actor to render incompetent medical assistance or to fail to rescue a citizen. Further, neither the "custody," nor the "state-created danger" exceptions to the general rule applied.

Jackson was never in state custody, as he was not held against his will by a state actor. Moving an unconscious patient into an ambulance does not constitute custody absent some evidence that the EMTs made affirmative acts to restrain the patient.

The Sixth Circuit also held that Jackson had not established a claim under the "state-created danger" exception because there was no evidence that the EMTs' conduct created a greater danger than the one posed by Jackson's gunshot wound. Conditions inside the ambulance were safer than in public generally.

Source: Health Law Week, 12/09/2005

Here's the full text of the courts decision....

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/circs/6th/042289p.pdf

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006604110321

5.) Boy's 911 calls put trouble in spotlight

Death of Detroit boy's mom results in lawsuit

April 11, 2006

BY MARISOL BELLO, FRANK WITSIL and JOE SWICKARD

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

6.) Lastly your network also aired a segment on this in the AM on FOX & Friends on April 10th, 2006..

My self and my colleagues are concerned that this act of gross negligence which is obviously going to go unpunished without your help will continue to paint our profession and the many thousands of dedicated pre-hospital professionals around the world in an unjustified negative light.

As pre-hospital professionals from all facets of our society we often work long hours, nights-weekends-holidays, etc.. For little pay ( in some areas employees of McDonald’s make more), recognition, or praise. We as a group are highly trained, knowledgeable, competent, and caring medical professionals who often respond to the emergencies of average citizens without regard for our own safety or comfort. We then provide our pt’s with rapid access to emergency care via competent, skilled medical interventions and rapid transport/access to medical care. Without us, and the publics faith we believe that many people would needlessly die. We would like you to help us set the record straight and ensure that Justice is done here.

It is our hope that with your attention to this matter and the National-International recognition it will bring to this issue that we can inform the public at large that they can feel safe, and have faith that we as a group will do our utmost to provide for their safety..

Thanks you for your time and consideration in this matter….

The Sixth Circuit held that the EMTs were entitled to qualified immunity. First, the Sixth Circuit held that, generally, it is not a constitutional violation for a state actor to render incompetent medical assistance or to fail to rescue a citizen.

All you jokers who think you want nationalised, universal health care, read that paragraph again. That is exactly what you are asking for. :roll:

I posted some sources for that ( in the original 'meical legal loop hole thread) and it seems that in Michigan especially it is quite ambiguous, and yes it is setting a beyond dangerous precedent... Although i suspect that MI isn't the only place where this occurs!! We as a group, especially those of us who post here regularly and preach to the rookies about education, professionalisim, etc... Should stand up and let our voices be heard and LEAD BY EXAMPLE, let's not let others taint our profession with sub-standard care, or negligence!!!!

out here,

ACE844

Firstly, squint, i'm in. Secondly, I think as professionals we all get pissed of attending hoax calls. Yes they are a waste of resources. Yes they are a waste of our time. Yes they put our lives at risk. BUT. Should we, any one of us put these as an excuse above all else for trating any call with complete disdain, we should give ourselvs an uppercut. Do we question the pt who has called us 99 times for epigastric pain? No. Why because call 100 could be the AMI he has been waiting for. We need to encourage our dispatcher & control rooms to be taking every call seriously, Dispatch a crew. Who knows, we might even save a life. :twisted:

Sorry guys and gals:

I had to drop the ball a bit, a friends daughter in trouble (illness) in a third world country need a medivac consult.

Just one word of advice...if u travel, make damn sure the insurance company's will pay up front.....a very hard lesson to learn.

I got stood down minutes ago....blah blah!

Anyways......picking up the ball again, the posting I put up "Dear Mr. Bill O’Reilly" was forwarded to me, I cannot take credit

I may have prematurely posted, but an excellent start thanks _______! you cutie you.

OK i was not going to post any comments on here, but i would like to hear more about this orginzation you all are planning here... sounds like something i would be more than interested in joining helping get going or whatever ... count me in guys.. i like it!!!!

Race

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.