NREMT-B Test (WARNING: Mean-spiritedness inside)

Remember like all certification test.. they are only testing the minimal for entry level... not, the expected norm of experienced providers. They even describe this is an entry level examination. Services should require continuing education .. not just CEU's but require employees to obtain educational subjects at local colleges or universities.

How much better our system would be if Supervisors had employee relationship classes and some management course as well even Administration attend management courses. One can never be too educated.

Many hospitals now offer college courses on site at the hospital so employees can attend more frequent & easier. I have not seen much EMS offer the same.

True, NREMT is way too lenient; however, we have to remember that even at this time it still has a significant fail rate.. which in itself is scary. Hopefully, soon a study can be performed on our failing education system. Then afterward increase the required entry level examinations (NREMT).

We have dumbed down the entry level so bad it is very seldom that patients receive a knowledgeable new EMT. Other than scene safety, and 0[sub:f72cf15569]2[/sub:f72cf15569] @ high flow, & intercept with ALS, very rarely do I see any patient assessment skills and treatment.

But alas, we are preaching to the choir... the ones that need to hearing our pleas are not here...

R/R 911

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:tweety: Can't forget that some excellent providers are not good test takers. Some of the best EMTs I know with the best situational awareness suck at taking written tests. I have worked with them in the field and they are more competent than some of the better scorers on tests. As many people have pointed out in the past, the written test will tell us how good we are at taking the test. But a good provider it does not make. I would rather work with someone who failed the written test 3 times and is excellent in the field than the person who scores 98% but freezes when faced with numerous patients or is unable to control the scene or applies an NRB to bag someone.............

:tweety: Can't forget that some excellent providers are not good test takers. Some of the best EMTs I know with the best situational awareness suck at taking written tests.

I was one of these people. There were a few in my class that I trust with my life, but by their test scores, you'd be like "uh oh". My partner in class, on the other hand, excelled with tests.

I think the biggest downfall for upcoming providers would be the written test...

The problem I have with the NR is that there is just enough trickery and vagueness to create an inaccurate representation of the test-takers' actual knowledge. I believe that someone without any medical background could sit down at that test and stand a fair chance at "accidently" passing. I know there were people in my class that floated by with low 70's, that I felt were completely devoid of the book/street smarts to make a successful EMT. I also know some who had the desire and background to make a good EMT who got the same scores. I didn't feel that the test was an accurate portrayal of the knowledge and skills that are required to be an EMT. I think that in an effort to be difficult, the NR has created a sort of "puncher's chance," if you will, for most potential EMS providers.

I would like to see a more representative test... but since I don't have to take it again.... what do I care? :D

EMT-B trainee here.

I'm not even worried about the written test. I can pass the freaking test.

I'm worried about when they hand me my card and send me on my way to save lives. We're required one 12 hour shift in an ED then three 12 hour shifts on the ambulance with a minimum of three transports combined. I have one 12 hour shift left and I've had two transports and a grand total of three medical calls (one of which was a woman who died in her sleep-not much to do there). This next station I go to for my last shift is slower than the ones I've been at.

There's not a single way in hell that I'll be ready for "out there". :shock:

I think basics need more clinical experience before being turned loose. I'm required to get just one more transport, and I tell ya I wouldn't want some newbie EMT with the amount of experience I've had to be dealing with my chest pain. :shock:

God help my partner :roll:

IF you failed by one question then you got enough questions wrong to fail.

Test is 100 questions

passing is 80 percent

That means you got 21 questions wrong so you did not fail by one question. You failed period.

But that said, you are responsible for your own destiny and if you take the test more than like 3 times then it might be time to look into a different destiny.

Sure you can be a good provider but you gotta pass first.

There's not a single way in hell that I'll be ready for "out there". :shock:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The best job you're going to get in North Texas as a new basic is just driving a transfer ambulance around for $7 or $8 dollars an hour anyhow. You're not going to need any "EMS" skills for that. As long as you can drive and work a cot, you're good to go. :?

I think basics need more clinical experience before being turned loose. I'm required to get just one more transport, and I tell ya I wouldn't want some newbie EMT with the amount of experience I've had to be dealing with my chest pain. :shock:

God help my partner :roll:

Personally, I wouldn't want ANY EMT-B dealing with my chest pain. Chest Pain is not a Basic call, and there is little of consequence they can do. And as a Basic, I don't feel that I'm slapping myself in the face, only apprpriately sizing up my abilities (and protocols).

I've worked with EMT's that I cannot believe they passed the NR test. I am positive their only goal is to drive. I divide my days on the ambulance as either having a partner or a driver. I recently have had major calls and was working with drivers. I'm working a critical trauma at the same talking the EMT though his job. The EMT I discussed earlier just realized we have pediatric kits and body bags on the units. You can scream at him that it's his responsibility to also check the truck and memorize where things are and to know what his job is until you're about to pass out. However, there is no telling where his head really is. He could be looking at the bag thinking about the new boat he's trying to buy. He's just going through the motions. He believes he's so good, he doesn't have to try. It's a product of high self-esteem teaching. Praise because you took the test and failed doesn't work. "Don't worry, Timmy. Even though you failed horribly, missed every question, and spelled your name wrong, you tried. And that's all that matters. Good job! Want some ice cream?"Praise has to come with accomplishment. Failing is still failing. In team sports, number two is still the losing side. In dealing with human life, failure should not be accepted. "Just getting by" isn't good enough.

Wouldn't you love to be my kids? Mm mm, just smell the therapy.

I expect my EMT to know his job, just as he/she and the patient expects me to know mine. Is that too much?

Personally, I wouldn't want ANY EMT-B dealing with my chest pain. Chest Pain is not a Basic call, and there is little of consequence they can do. And as a Basic, I don't feel that I'm slapping myself in the face, only apprpriately sizing up my abilities (and protocols).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.