NREMT-B Test (WARNING: Mean-spiritedness inside)

Hey there,

Even though I'm new here I've seen a lot of EMS boards, and one of the most frequent topics of conversation is the NREMT-B, how to study for it, and how hard it is.

This is going to sound mean, but I don't mean it to be. How can anyone fail the NREMT-B multiple times? I didn't even study at all and I passed it by a wide margin. At least to me, the vast majority of my EMT class was common sense. When you get to the patient, you should make sure you won't get run over by a car, THEN open the AIRWAY? Holy shit! I'm not the most intelligent guy out there, by FAR, but I honestly wouldn't want to be treated by a Basic who failed the test three times before passing it.

More advanced levels are something else entirely, and I understand that. Learning contraindications to atropine administration isn't something you pick up by watching Third Watch. Being a basic is EASY, knowledge wise though. I think we need to spend more time practicing stressful situations and bedside manner and less time learning that 15LPM via NRB will cure cancer.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

Speed....I doubt you'll find anyone here to argue with you.

I also passed easily first time through. The sad part is that good people spent good money going to a school that didn't teach enough to pass.

Not their fault. It's so hard to verify the quality of a good school. It's pretty much a crap shoot going to the school in your area....

You can't know they didn't teach you until you get slapped by the NR.

Dust's advice (though not practical for all) is the best.

(Paraphrasing) "If at first you don't succeed, do yourself a favor and find a GOOD school"

Sorry if I'm speaking out of turn Dust.....

Dwayne

A written test with 4 similar answers does not test competency to take actions when appropriate. The test is simply a measure of a student's knowledge of doctrine. Knowing the "best" answer, or rather, the one they want you to select says you're a good test-taker, not a good EMT-B.

I got a good score and passed the test the first time, but I don't think it says I'm a good EMT. I have a good GPA in my college science classes, I know how to prepare and study for a test. I also can spot the tricks test developers use to distract from the "right" answers.

The test in the field is the one that counts. I study for that often. I grade myself with a critical eye looking for a way to improve on it. I do my CEU's, stick IVs on other medics at drill when we're not doing anything and challenge them to ask a medical question I can't answer.......so that I can find the hidden flaw.

Now, if someone who took a few times to pass the NREMT does the same thing, they're good with me. If they think they can pass a test and be a good EMT, well, then I have a problem with that.

I know that you were refering to the person's initial didactic experience, but this is what came to mind. I think you were just questioning what you think is a symptom of a weak program. Consider this:

I went to a school for respiratory therapy that offered an occupational associates. The school was so lame that it was forced to close 2 years after I graduated for losing it's accreditation. None of my 60 credits would transfer. There were no labs in the core didactics. I didn't know the difference between the mechanism and actions for Albuterol, Alupent, Ipatropium bromide, Acetylcystene. The physics of a closed ventillatory system were mostly vague. I learned most everything in clinicals, but not because of some great preceptors, they despised us, it was my DESIRE to know.

I passed the CRTT on the first try.

Ahhh...so true. I passed my test the first time...I also passed class at the top with a 98% overall....BUT...that means nothing. The person to graduate first in their class from medical school is called "doctor". The person to graduate last in their class from medical school is called......."Doctor". hmmmm....

It's a test. It's meant to do just that...test... It's a bare minimum requirement to get your license. That's why I preach over and over and over....DON'T STOP LEARNING! (sorry..don't mean to shout)... Read your book re-read your book, continue learning by reading more books, taking classes, ask questions, be inquisitive, learn from your partners and peers, learn from this board....learn, learn, learn.... Get subscriptions to JEMS and EMS...read the articles...read medical journals. Learn how things work and WHY... Just passing a test is not enough....for anyone... You may make it in the field, but definitely not as one of the best. There is no substitute for knowledge. Lots of people get by with common sense smarts. Increase your knowledge. That is what makes you good at what you do. (and it DOES help to have a decent school.....)

xoxoxoxo :wink:

Excellent points. Quite obviously, both school and student ultimately factor in your success or failure. You can be a mediocre student, but receive a superiour education and pass just fine. You can be a great student, but receive a crappy education and still do well. But there are damn few superiour schools out there, folks, at least in the U.S. That means you had better not count on them teaching you anything. You need to focus 110 percent upon learning the material yourself, with the school only there to reinforce it for you.

If you fail NR, it may well be the school's fault. No doubt about it. But if you fail it multiple times, it is YOUR fault, and yours alone. Either YOU did not devote yourself fully to your education, or else YOU lack the aptitude for the medical field. I am sorry, but there is no delicate way to put it. Yes, it is a tricky test with many tricky, bogus questions. But intelligence and education easily overcome that hurdle once you have seen it.

The bottom line again is:

• In addition to your instructors, you have your textbooks. You have your handouts. You have your fellow students. You have the Internet. You have dozens of other books available to you. And you have this board where you can find help. If you find that too much of a hassle, then get out. You aren't devoted enough. If you utilise all those resources and still fail NR more than once, get out. You don't have the aptitude.

We have a guy working for us that claimed during his EMT course he had adult attention defect disorder or something like that. All his test questions had to be read to him, he got longer time to do his test, and the NREMT test had to be read to him. Only thing is there was no official diagnosis of his disorder, but the community college apparently fell over itself to help him. This came after he failed his first couple of tests during the course. "Of course, it can't be you, or the fact you don't study. It has to be an illness." He failed the national, but I don't know how many times. Nice guy, but immature. Finally passed and now he's here and he's a 2/20 EMT (less than 2 years in/over 20 years experience). We never hear about the "diagnosis" anymore.[/font:e18dc533f5]

We have a guy working for us that claimed during his EMT course he had adult attention defect disorder or something like that. All his test questions had to be read to him, he got longer time to do his test, and the NREMT test had to be read to him. Only thing is there was no official diagnosis of his disorder, but the community college apparently fell over itself to help him. This came after he failed his first couple of tests during the course. "Of course, it can't be you, or the fact you don't study. It has to be an illness." He failed the national, but I don't know how many times. Nice guy, but immature. Finally passed and now he's here and he's a 2/20 EMT (less than 2 years in/over 20 years experience). We never hear about the "diagnosis" anymore.[/font:ac24df9601]

Yeah, I don't get this. We had a girl like that in our class. She had to take all tests separately and untimed because there were too many distractions in the classroom.

(She came to many of our study groups...Braless...chatty....and to all outward appearances very sharp!)

(Yes Dust...she was hot)

Even while doing her NR skill, she was untimed and allowed to stop and come back if stress caused her to get confused.....

I have an autistic son, my world revolves around him....but I'm thinking he'd make a pretty poor EMSer....What happened to common sense?

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.