Blood Pressure Question

I searched around trying to find an answer but couldn't so sorry if this has been answered before:

When taking a BP, I notice the needle jerking w/ the heartbeat, before I start hearing the heartbeat itself. So am I suppose to measure the systolic when the needle starts jerking or when I first hear the faintest beat?

When you hear the heart beat....

simple enough

Race

Ace,

I think you meant Korotkoff sounds. Korsakoff is a whole different situation.

LMAO! :cry:

Korsakoff sounds are frequently heard in nursing homes. They are not easily confused with Korotkoff's sounds, but I suppose a rookie could make that mistake. Especially if you're a rookie using one of them $150 dollar Littmann Cardiology III stethoscopes. :cry:

although you can sometimes see the needle jerking at the same time, you need to go by when you hear the first beat. pay no attention to the needle moving, it can throw you off!!

LMAO! :lol:

Korsakoff sounds are frequently heard in nursing homes. They are not easily confused with Korotkoff's sounds, but I suppose a rookie could make that mistake. Especially if you're a rookie using one of them $150 dollar Littmann Cardiology III stethoscopes. :lol:

Dude. I resemble that remark!!! It matches my TX EMS license plates! *goes back to wacker-land*

Ace,

I think you meant Korotkoff sounds. Korsakoff is a whole different situation.

LMAO! :lol:

Korsakoff sounds are frequently heard in nursing homes. They are not easily confused with Korotkoff's sounds, but I suppose a rookie could make that mistake. Especially if you're a rookie using one of them $150 dollar Littmann Cardiology III stethoscopes. :)

Korotkoff, korsakof, cricomywhat.... :wink: :lol: :shock: :lol: depending on the day and my mental status i may be hearing all sorts of things!! :shock: :wink: :lol: 8) JK...

ACE