Was I wrong to open my mouth in this case??

I had a similar situation. Arrived for shift and crew that was in that night had a late run so we were waiting for them to get back. They arrived and before we had a chance to do a proper stock check dispatch hit us with a priority transfer. We started out and before we new it it was mid day. It was busy. Throughout the morning we would check equipment, a little at a time. We noticed the ECG cables were missing. We reported it to the manager right away. He replied ,,Oh I was waiting for someone to report this because I was given these extra cables earlier this morning, by hosp staff. I replied well I guess we are of the hook then. He stated indeed not, this should have been reported during your equipment check prior to shift start. He was correct but... when I elaborated on the fact that he was aware there was a ambi without cables and that dispatch should have been notified to send out a call to all units to check for possible missing cables. He contributed to the problem 3 fold. I laughed and then said well I guess we get a get out of jail free card on this one. He replied don't let it happen again and that was the end of it.

Well, remember these routine checks are designed to place all responsibility on you. Don't depend on others to bail you out. Managers don't care who is at fault as long as someone takes the heat.

Take your time and check everything! Regardless of how long it takes. Don't move your unit until you are sure everything is up to snuff. I have learned its ok to try to help save someone elses butt as long as it dosent burn your own.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember many, many years ago I went to dispatching for a semester while I was in college. One of the duties of the night dispatcher was to tally up the petty cash expenditure log each night. It was a simple matter of subtracting the days receipts from the previous day's balance. Simple enough, right? Well, one night I did that and did so perfectly. The problem was, the girl who did it the previous night came up with the incorrect balance. Therefore, I started off with that incorrect balance and got an incorrect result. Guess who got reamed for it? Yep, me. Not the bimbo with the big boobs who farked it up to begin with. They said I should have caught her mistake. :roll:

What did her boobs have to do with it? I have big boobs and I know how to count money! Lots of it! Sheesh!

• 2 months later...

good day all I just heard this thread existed and I felt this warranted a response since I work out of the station in question and shed a bit of a dark light on us. Now this is all about the reporting of a possible critical equipment failure and heresay by a fire fighter who stated that the defib was in that state 4 days prior to it being reported.Now during these four days there would have been 8 unit checks done during this time,and I find it hard to believe that it would have been overlooked at that time. Not only that but in this system we have "required" weekly deep cleans done on our units and equipment. Now during these four days a deep clean was done on this unit and equipment. We do them on Sunday's, how do I know this was done? because I did it personally with a casual partner that day and furthermore I personally cleaned the defib in question and THERE WERE NO WIRES HANGING OUT OF THE DEFIB 2 days prior to it being reported. I find the comments made by Connie to insult my integrity and the integrity of my coworkers out of this station.And in regards to the firefighter who noticed them 4 days prior to that his comments were investigated and he has been relieved of his role in the fire dept. for his histor of blurring the truth.And I have intimate knowledge of this not being the first instance of "PASSING THE BUCK " game being played by connie. And by the way Connie we read your email to the firefighters quite the interesting read indeed.I feel the whole story here should be put out there since this thread has been created. Especally since it has a big poor me feel with a side of it's not my fault!!!

I felt it was necessary to reveal the whole situation. Not the bits and pieces of a story to falsley accuse people of negligence in not reporting an incident. And since this was posted on a public forum everyone has the right to voice their opinion on this public forum.

First off I felt it was necessary to reveal the whole situation. Not bits and pieces .

What's your point? Why didn't you comment on this 2-3 mos ago when you joined and the topic was recent...Is this your version of a back-handed sleight-sneak attack on connies character? If so, what does that say about you? I agree with what "PRPG," posted, above. A mistake was made, punishment handed down and now ur trying to push a dead issue, why? What is your agenda and do you seriously expect us to take you 'seriously' after this? Lastly, if you want to make finger pointing attacks go hang out with fire-lifeguard whoever who just tried the same thing in another thread, you two will have alot to discuss... Waste his time, not this groups!! This isn't 'DAY OF OUR LIVES' this is a professional forum where we all get together, try to learn and discuss REAL ISSUES IN OUR PROFESSION...!!!! Food for thought,

ACE844

ok first off I'm usually not one to make posts so I do not go on the forums and when I hear there is one that reflects on colleages and paints them including myself in a unwarrented negative light I feel the rest of the story should be made known. this was not an attempt at "Backhanding" but there are 2 sides to every story and I felt that more info on this discussion was justified.

ok first off I'm usually not one to make posts so I do not go on the forums and when I hear there is one that reflects on colleages and paints them including myself in a unwarrented negative light I feel the rest of the story should be made known. this was not an attempt at "Backhanding" but there are 2 sides to every story and I felt that more info on this discussion was justified.

"Cypress,"

My original post was in response to yours, thank you for the clarification. I hope that you like "me" see both sides of the issue, and the reason for my post. I actually have similar feelings and would have responded the same, and have in the past here as well.. I would just echo "PRPG's" second post and encourage more clarity with your posts. Welcome to EMTCITY, and good luck!

ACE844

cypress wrote:

"And in regards to the firefighter who noticed them 4 days prior to that his comments were investigated and he has been relieved of his role in the fire dept. for his histor of blurring the truth."

Actually, the truth is, the firefighter in question was NEVER investigated, because I was in constant contact with him after this incident, and he never even received as much as a phone call from anyone in EHS or his fire dept. to discuss anything related to this case.

As well, the firefighter in question was not "relieved of his role" in the fire dept. at all.....he LEFT because he joined the military, and had to move to Ontario for basic training!!

If we want the complete truth to be known.....there it is!!!