Looking for specific case law - Families following the squad

Hey PRPG,

Here, at least i do my best from the start to tell the family to meet us at the hospital and have them leave as soon as possible before us if it is available. It is also explained to them that not only will this get them to the hospital as soon and as safely as possible, it will also speed the hospitals check in and information gathering process that much faster.

That alone is usually enought to convince them to get going and in front of us instead of behind us where the temptaion is to "draft" us as asys put it. aside from that we usually have LEO on scene with us if it is a code or other "bad" call and they do a good job of stalling family with questions and forms until we are well gone ahead of them. And they also do a very good job of explaining that they are going to be driving to the hospital as well and that they as family members must and will be expected to follow all traffic laws and will be pulled over and sited if needed.....

hope it helps

Race

We have them go ahead of us as well, and ask them to use the same routes that we're using... for the same reasons as those listed above... to expedite check in (which I realize is basically automatic in some areas if you arive via ambulance... to arrive at nearly the same time... and so that we don't have to worry about watching them in the rear view mirror.. also if we "light it up".. we don't necessarily want the family getting panicked...

One thing not mentioned that really aggravates me is people who aren't family following the ambulance and passing cars that have pulled over for me. People think its a free ticket down the highway. Anybody else have this happen to them?
THAT we do see around here. I've even been at an accident that resulted from people taking the passing ambulance as an opportunity to pass cars.

I try my very best to talk them into going ahead. Most are content with this as they like to be there already when their family member arrives so they don't "miss" anything. If I can't get them to do that...Either I talk to the family or instruct my partner to, and discuss with them how I DO NOT want them to drive closely, follow us through lights, etc...and take a minute to explain the safety aspect to them. Most people seem ok with that and appreciate that you care enough to let them know. Most have also never really thought about the whole "no one is looking for a second car" theory...or should I say fact...

Sounds like everyone handles things about the same way.....

xoxo

We have them go ahead of us as well, and ask them to use the same routes that we're using... for the same reasons as those listed above... to expedite check in (which I realize is basically automatic in some areas if you arive via ambulance... to arrive at nearly the same time... and so that we don't have to worry about watching them in the rear view mirror..

This has always been successful for me. In all these years, I have never had anybody follow my ambo after being asked not to. I always lay it down initially, as described above, for the benefit of the patient. If they do not immediately at that point pick up their keys and head for their car, I tack on the part about the probability they will go to jail if they are seen behind us. Never had it fail in over twenty years.

Must be nice in places like NYC where nobody has a car anyhow!

Somewhere in the ether of EMT City, I had a posting on "trail-gaters" following the ambulances down crowded highways. Most times, the cars are not in any way connected with the patient aboard.

I have also told relatives/friends to start out to the hospital prior to my leaving the scene, and not to follow the ambulance, if at all, when I expect to be running at L&S ("Code 3," "hot") when I do leave the scene.

I don't know if the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Laws actually has such wording, but I was once told (unverified!) if someone following the ambulance when the ambulance is running at "Emergency Status" is involved in an accident, the Ambulance Motor Vehicle Operator (notice I didn't say "Ambulance Driver") is responsible, somehow.

What I do know, NYS VTL states anyone following an Emergency Vehicle, at less than a specified 200 feet following distance, is subject to a ticket.

As for nobody owning a car in NYC, you've never been in rush hour traffic on the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Drive ("the FDR"), the LIE (Long Island Expressway), the GCP (Grand Central Parkway), the 'Wyck, the Deegan, the BQE (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway) "Trench", the Interboro/Jackie Robinson Parkway, and (dear to my heart) the "Belt". I've left a few of the major highways, expressways, and parkways out of this list, but others living in or near NYC will let youse guys know!

Just like others have already mentioned, I always advise the family to leave before me, not to follow if I am going in RLS, etc. There has only been one time in seven years of doing this job that I had to call PD and have them stop the family after they tried to follow me while running hot.

That being said, I do have access to westlaw, but don't have my password handy at the moment. I am working a double tomorrow and then have to teach CPR on Saturday morning, but over the weekend, I will take a look and see what I can find for you.

As for nobody owning a car in NYC, you've never been in rush hour traffic on the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Drive ("the FDR"), the LIE (Long Island Expressway), the GCP (Grand Central Parkway), the 'Wyck, the Deegan, the BQE (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway) "Trench", the Interboro/Jackie Robinson Parkway, and (dear to my heart) the "Belt". I've left a few of the major highways, expressways, and parkways out of this list, but others living in or near NYC will let youse guys know!

Or the times I've pulled onto second avenue, taken one look, and muttered something to the effect "Man, I hope no one is in cardiac arrest right now"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.