amusement parks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any of you guys ever worked at an amusement park as an

emt or medic?? just curious, i just got hired as an emt-b at

cedar point. i am also just newly certified so i am quite nervous!

what do i have to look forward to?

I think it would be an interesting place to work in that it's not your typical environment. There will be a lot of treat and release stuff.

I've worked a baseball stadium and several kids camps, which is pretty much the same atmosphere as an amusement park. I hope you are paired with a competent nurse, because ninety percent of what you will face is nothing an EMT-B has the slightest clue about handling. It's fun though! I'd rather do it than working the streets.

I was told it would be a great job working at Canadas Wonderland in TO, but I was thinking it could be all band-aid patrols etc. Cant say that it would really interest me personally, but hope you have a great summer- hope you can get some great experience!

I was told it would be a great job working at Canadas Wonderland in TO, but I was thinking it could be all band-aid patrols etc. Cant say that it would really interest me personally...

It is very definitely not a job for somebody with no experience. Without a solid foundation of street medicine, you won't have the skills necessary to competently assess your patients. It's more of a job for burnouts and those who just want to give their back and psyche a rest. If you go in there with no experience, you are doing your employer and your patients a grave disservice. But, unfortunately, that happens a lot around here. Six Flags, Hurricane Harbour and the other water parks, and the stadiums tend to hire wannabe's with little or no experience because those with experience either want to be on the streets or want completely out. And, of course, there is the politics of those already working there giving jobs only to their loser friends who also can't get a real EMS job, compounding the problem.

Any parks like that in Calgary?

My first paid job as an EMT was at an amusement park. I had a great time, you see a wide variety of things. The majority of the patients you pretty much treat and release, but you get some good calls at the same time. Lot's of medicals, every now and then you might have a decent trauma, you deal with a lot of pediatrics, and you get lots of good experience. It's a good place for a new EMT to get their feet wet and learn some things about the job. Good luck with it, you should find it enjoyable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.