Last minute pointers for job interview...

The usual stuff applies...and the smoking advice is good...I don't like nasty smokers.

BE Yourself!

and show confidence!

Remember you are selling a product (You) so practice with a friend or two in answering some of the off the wall questions you know will be asked...have a game plan before going.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That'd be nice if EMT employers were more picky around here. There's a 6 month waiting list (and that's short) and there's not much you can do to get ahead, I've been told. You just have to wait until they get to you, if you qualify, they hire you. You can't get ahead by being more hirable/qualified/professional/better recommended than the others. You just kinda wait your turn to get in.

Alco that is great news! My recent interview included a 120 question multiple choice exam, physical with lift test and a cup to fill. As your interview is in the next county you may want to bring a change of clothes for the lift test if your interview wear is not suitable.

I would recommend that you do not let on to any issues you may have with scheduling. Let them know you are totally flexible, willing to pay your dues and excited to work for them. It will be easier to negotiate your needs once you have an employee number. If the service has a website or other available resource then use it to learn about the company and then work that knowledge into either a question or response during your interview. Be early, be alert, have good posture, smile and thank them for the interview both before and after. Hearty good mornings to all employees and office personnel that you encounter as they may be an informal part of the interview process.

Good luck! :|

I still stand by the advice I gave you the first time you asked this question last year.

Cleavage or tight sweater. :wink:

Alco, congratulations! I'll have my fingers crossed for you. Having interviewed a few hundred people in my past life of retail management - here are a few pointers for you:

* A job interview is a job interview - regardless of what the job is. This is an opportunity for you to

convince a prospective employer that you are the best possible candidate for the job. Someone

already said - be confident and be yourself - good advice.

* Dress professionally - think conservative. (Sorry Dust...) A dress or skirt is fine - just watch the

length. Keep makeup and jewelry to a minimum. Use perfume sparingly. Now is not the time for

funky new hair styles and the like. If your hair is long (and if I remember from your pic, I think it

was) it will look more professional to have it pulled back for the interview. A bun or French braid

works great here.

* Make sure your hands and nails are clean - nothing is a bigger turn off during an interview than

to be able to see dirt under someone's nails. Ughhh!

* Lose the chewing gum! The advice about the cigarettes was good, too.

* If you are nervous, rehearse what you think you may have to say. Watch your use of "filler"

words. Uhhh...hmmm...well...huh? Most people don't realize how much they use these. Also,

know where your hands are during the interview. People get nervous and play with their hair,

scratch their skin, etc. If you need to, fold them together loosely in your lap.

* Know something about the company you're applying to. Applicants who had done a little

research and knew something about us always got brownie points with me.

* Manners go a long way. Yes ma'am and no sir. Also, a firm handshake before and after makes

a good impression.

* Review your basics - don't let something mundane and simple trip you up!

* If some of these things sound common sense - they are - but you wouldn't believe how people

show up looking for job interviews! Some days I wish I could have taken pictures!

GOOD LUCK GIRL!

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice! This is what I have done so far to prepare for this interview-

1.) I have been studying and refreshing my skills ranging from Ambulance types right down to Patient Asessments for Medical and Truama Patients as well as Geriatrics and Pediatrics. I even went back over my CPR Class notes.

2.) I went a bought a new buisness suit- nice dress pants, nice shirt and jacket, pantyhose and dress shoes. I will apply light make-up limited to foundation, nuetral eyeshadow and mascara, and I plan on pulling my hair back.

3.) Cleaned out my truck - the way the driveway is of this EMS station is, the folks can see your vehicle in the office, my truck will be giving them my initial impression. Dashboards are dusted and shiny, carpets and seats vacuumed, and the seats where Narcan chewed the upholstry have brandnew seat covers over them (Mossy Oak Camoflauge to be exact), my truck has a vanilla air freshener on the vents so its got a nice clean smell to it. I removed the kennel from the back as well.

4.) Im leaving the cigarettes at home so I cant smoke if I get the urge, and I plan on drinking bottled water during the interview to help keep myself calm.

5.) I also packed some clothes in a gym bag in case I have to do some lifting as part of the interview, the MPW stays off my head until AFTER the interview is completed and Im out of the driveway.

6.) Im going to ask my mom to ask me standard interview questions to help myself prepare, work on my answers.

7.) Researching this EMS company is a little more difficult as they dont have an internet page, and the last "new" thing I heard from this company was they chose a new EMS director last year. How do I mention this in the interview without looking like an idiot?

Now my questions-

1.) Should I ask to see their equipment? Is it appropriate? What should I say while looking over this equipment?

2.) Should I ask about call volume?

3.) Should I ask about any community outreach events they participate in?

4.) Is it appropriate for me to walk in with a pen and notepad with my questions written on them and write down their answers?

5.) should I give them an updated copy of my resume during the interview?

6.) When asked if I have any comments, what should I say at this point? Often times my mind goes blank and I just kinda nod my head like a scared little kid.

Anything else Im missing?

thanks again in advance,

Alco 8)

Hey Alco,

In answer to your questions, the short answer is yes to all of the above.

If you ask to see their equipment, it shows your interested.

Call volume is important, that's why you"re there.

Community outreach is a good topic, but perhaps bring that up at your next interview. ( if there is one ) At this stage, your trying to sell yourself.

A pad and pen is not inappropriate. Keep it with you as reference, but try and know the questions you want to ask, it shows confidence.

Good luck!

"7.) Researching this EMS company is a little more difficult as they dont have an internet page, and the last "new" thing I heard from this company was they chose a new EMS director last year. How do I mention this in the interview without looking like an idiot?"

Don't mention it or worry about it.

"Now my questions-

6.) When asked if I have any comments, what should I say at this point? Often times my mind goes blank and I just kinda nod my head like a scared little kid"

Thank them for interviewing you. Tell them you are excited about working for them and the opportunity to prove yourself and that "I want this job." Ask "when can I start?" Close with a firm handshake as your physical strength and confidence is one more way to show them that you are the one to hire. :D

Just my personal thought, if I were in your situation, when it came to question time I think I would say something like, "I am a professional, and I am interested in being the very best provider I can be. But I am also admittedly very new to EMS. What process does your agency have in place to get new graduates oriented and up to speed? Is there a formal orientation program? How long is it and how does that work? Would I be partnered with a senior medic who has experience precepting new graduates?"

Questions of that sort will be beneficial on several levels. First of all, it demonstrates honesty and humility. Trust me, EMS administrators get really, really tired of all the wankers that come straight out of EMT school copping attitudes as if they are a trauma god who already knows everything there is to know, and are there to show everybody else how great they are. It is extremely refreshing to hear somebody basically say, "yeah, I'm new. But I want to be a part of your team and do the very best job for you that I can." And of course, by this line of conversation you will walk away with clear expectations as to what your first weeks are going to be like. That beats the hell out of worrying yourself sick the night before that first shift wondering if they are going to throw you straight to the wolves.

You might also ask about educational opportunities. Do they provide in-house continuing ed classes? Or are you going to have to go find your own $50 CPR class every year? PHTLS? BTLS? PALS? Those are all things you will want to be looking into once you get comfortable in your routine. If your employer provides those things, that's a real plus.

Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.