Feasibility question...bring on the smart kids...

Ok, ive been turning an idea over and over in my head. Time to kick it to yall.

Ive been debating adding a EMS staffing service to my list of adventures this year.

Heres the theory. With everyone as free agents in the county system (made up of fifty or so private service ALS units), there is no demand, because the supply is big. If all the EMS works for me, and I contract them out to each service...i could name the rate, benefit package, and conditions for these people.

Thoughts? Ask questions if more info is needed...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, ive been turning an idea over and over in my head. Time to kick it to yall.

Ive been debating adding a EMS staffing service to my list of adventures this year.

Heres the theory. With everyone as free agents in the county system (made up of fifty or so private service ALS units), there is no demand, because the supply is big. If all the EMS works for me, and I contract them out to each service...i could name the rate, benefit package, and conditions for these people.

Thoughts? Ask questions if more info is needed...

Like a PUM without the stuffing? Yeah, I think it would work pretty well if the county didn't object. The problem with this may result in medics who loose the ability to work multiple jobs, which as we all know, is a mainstay of surviving in the industry. I know one guy who works three different medic jobs at almost 80 hours a week to feed his family.

What is the incentive to the services to hire people from your agency?

It would work if all eligbile potential employees signed on with you and agreed not to work for someone without you.

What is the incentive for them to do that?

I guess one way to pitch it to the services, is that you can reduce their costs by screening all employees for them and doing the ref checks, balh blah blah, but that could also negate a current postion within their company. You assume liability for all the screening and hiring practices. COuld be a good thing. But could also lead to more frivilous complaints and having medics bounce around from service to service till all decide they do not want that particular one anymore. Do they all have the same protocols? Kinda strange if they do.

Where is the job security. Would you be offering benefits, retirement,etc? Is there any upward mobility?

Sorry for my ramblings, I am tired and just blabbering, hope it made sense.

I've always wondered why I've never heard about an EMT or medic union, with the way they're treated. I mean, cmon here. It's financially better for you to work at safeway or starbucks than as a paramedic.

Then again with the supply/demand thing, I guess a union wouldn't be able to survive.

What is the incentive to the services to hire people from your agency?

It would work if all eligbile potential employees signed on with you and agreed not to work for someone without you.

What is the incentive for them to do that?

I guess one way to pitch it to the services, is that you can reduce their costs by screening all employees for them and doing the ref checks, balh blah blah, but that could also negate a current postion within their company. You assume liability for all the screening and hiring practices. COuld be a good thing. But could also lead to more frivilous complaints and having medics bounce around from service to service till all decide they do not want that particular one anymore. Do they all have the same protocols? Kinda strange if they do.

Where is the job security. Would you be offering benefits, retirement,etc? Is there any upward mobility?

Sorry for my ramblings, I am tired and just blabbering, hope it made sense.

Not ramblings, in case you hadnt noticed, Ive been running all my ideas past the board these days for ideas...

Ideally, I'd hire everyone. Every card holding active squadder in the county.

All the medics would thus work for the same company, i'd imagine under the same medical director, with....the same protocols...

Incentives would be simple. In this area, and across PA, the standard is private service non municipal EMS. The exception is all city services which are municipal. These 3rd service private agencies are missing several factors that would be a draw.

Pension / Retirement packages, Pay at a level where they could only work one job, good benefits with minimal pay ins, PTO time above the fringe...

Upward mobility would still exist, because i'd have to hire all the administrators, career chiefs of each organization and such. Therefore, open positions would exist.

Hmmmm....

Hmmm... lotta nasty details to be worked out on this one, but I sure like the theory.

This is the kind of outside-the-box brainstorming I like to see! :thumbright:

Hmmm... lotta nasty details to be worked out on this one, but I sure like the theory.

This is the kind of outside-the-box brainstorming I like to see! :thumbright:

*sighs* You ain't kidding.

I would piss off sooooo many people with this, b ut I think it would work. Meh...something to think about. Like I need another project...lol

I have always wondered why we did'nt have "agency type" services. However; the problem is for the service to pay the additional money to you for an employee. I think it could work for certain areas... Be nice to see it implemented.

R/R 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.