Why I quit attending my EMT-B course

Michael

I would say look into how lisencing is done around your area.

I'm in PA, and we have very simple reciprocity agreements with all the surrounding states. However those reciprocity agreements are only for EMT-B. EMT-P is really shaky. Around where I am the general feeling is that NR is definitely worth it, if not a must for Paramedic, but EMT-B it's not necessary.

However as everyone else has said, if you're moving somewhere or might be, it's not a bad idea. I think the rule is you have a year to take it so no worries.

And congrats on passing EMT-B, hopefully you've got many rewarding calls ahead of you.

For some people...taking the NR exam is a waste of their time...other than getting the personal satisfaction from passing the exam. If you don't plan on moving to another state, it doesn't do you any good, and a lot of agencies/departments don't give you any extra pay or benefits being nationally registered. You have to pay for the certification, you have to recert more often than your state requires, and you really don't get a lot in return. I don't see any major benefit of being nationally registered...

Congratulations!!

Kansas recognizes the National Registry. I didn't renew mine, I don't plan on moving though. If you are not nationally registered Kansas will look at previous training and see that you have what they require here for certification. There is extra stuff on top of national registry they want you to know. If ya have it you get a Kansas cert, if not then you take a class turn in your paperwork and then have your cert.

I agree with PRPG....what is with the caps??

All those CAPS so little time to read them. Oye vay, my eyes hurt now. Not only do I have to read that post once but they posted it yet again immediately after. I guess it was for those of us who stopped reading at the first capitalized word. They posted it a second time to make sure we still didn't understand what they were saying.

The Shift key is your friend.

in tennessee when you take either emt or paramedic course. your state exam is the national registry. from personal experience i think that the national registry is a joke!!! and that the people that are running it don,t have the fogiest idea what they are doing, as the old saying the blind leading the blind, i once was a national registered paramedic and when it came time to renew . i had taken a 16 hour state coarse, acls,pals,btls,phtls,pepp,both the acls and the pals were the 16 hour courses not the refresher, i had went far beyond the c.e.u. hours required to renew my liscense, after i had sent the renewal information back in, i recieved a letter from them stating that my renewal had been rejected because they wanted me to take a 16 hr. intubation coarse that the state of tennessee does not even offer. i called them and talked to some lady there and she stated that was correct that i needed to take the coarse. i tried to explain to her that TN. does not offer that particular coarse. and that if they would bother to look on the form sent back to them . that there was more than 16 hrs. of intubation training in all the coarses that i had already taken. but they were to stupid to figure that out. needless to say i never retained my national registry, i do however have my state paramedic liscense,the state board is lloking to do away with the national registry because it is such a joke of an orginization. an d replace it with something else, :-({|= :D/

I THINK THAT THE NREMT IS A JOKE ONE OF MY CO WORKERS TOOK IT AND WENT TO A STATE THAT WANTED YOU TO HAVE IT THEY STILL WANTED HIM TO TAKE A 10 WEEK CLASS AND TAKE THERE STATE EXAM SO AS FAR AS I CAN SEE IT DOES NOTHING I HAVE HEARD OTHER STATES ARE THE SAME THEY WILL TAKE THE NREMT BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO TAKE THERE EXAX I THOUGHTTHE NREMT WAS SO YOU WOULD NOT HAVE TO TEST IN OTHER STATES YOU COULD GO TO WORK

I'm a little embarrassed. I know that in NYS you are required to have at the very least a high school diploma / GED to be an EMT. Now.... I mean do I really have to say where I'm going with this? Okay so some people have a caps fetish and I can deal with that... my issue is with the complete lack of punctuation. Is that seriously what your PCRs look like? Positives, negatives, and medication tend to get all kinds of blurred without proper punctuation. The fact that you could possible be responsible for documenting medical information about a patient (anyone can get medical info, I am NOT going to even touch on the idea of you performing a patient assessment and documenting that) kind of makes me want to crawl into a hole and let the CFRs take care of me (no offense to CFRs heh heh).

My one regret is that I did not get to reply to this message first and rip further lol

...i recieved a letter from them stating that my renewal had been rejected because they wanted me to take a 16 hr. intubation coarse that the state of tennessee does not even offer.

I recommend a semester long remedial grammar course too. Hopefully the State of Tennessee offers that. :wink:

Why should you take NR?

• 1. To challenge yourself. Find out if you know as much as you think you know.

2. A quantitative breakdown of your strengths and weaknesses. The results tell you which areas you will want to concentrate on improving.

3. The personal satisfaction of knowing you arose to the same standard as the majority of other EMT's in the country so people won't be snickering behind your back.

4. Continuing education credits for taking it. It is a learning experience. You're not through learning yet.

5. Really cool patch. :lol:

• 1. Forty bucks is a lot of money to an EMT.

2. Scared. Not confident in your knowledge or the quality of your education.

3. Can't find a test because nobody in your state takes it.

• That about sums it up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.