Malpractice Insurance

MikeJ

Well Rid, it is rare I disagree with you, so I will chalk this one up to my youthfulness and ignorance,lol. Maybe after I put another decade under my belt, I too may change my opinion. Didn't say I was hard core against it, just feel its not for me at this time. Hopefully I will not learn another lesson the hard way as I have many others, but from my personal experience, not having it saved me once already. Anyways, since I have such an open mind usually, I will look into this further and see what stats I can pull up either for or against. In the meantime, should anything happen, feel free to say I told you so, as I will do the same.

We had this discussion at work recently. The boss said that nationwide there seem to be an increase in the lawsuits filed against RNs. While the hospital will initially cover the employee for the suit, any loss incurred by the hospital will then be recouped in a counter suit against the RN (the employee). Rid and Dust, have you guys seen this in your experiences?

I asked the boss how this applied to us. Would the municipality would cover us in a suit? Yes. Would they then counter sue to get their money back...no answer.

Has anyone seen this in the EMS field?

It would not surprise me to see something like that happen. And the boss seems to be the vindictive type who'd do such a thing just to screw someone.

-be safe.

I can tell you that I have seen it with doctors working for New York City hospitals, where the City has gone after the doctors for reimbursement of what the City had to pay out. Moreover, I have seen the City of New York many times try to avoid its responsibilities to defend the doctors that work for them under the premise that the individual doctor's actions were "gross negligence" that the city was not responsible for, or "intentional", which should be read as "utter crap".

In my humble opinion, here is the bottom line: You're human; the chances that you will make a mistake exist; the chances that such a mistake will cause someone injury exist; if I am the guy that makes the mistake, I will hold myself accountable (as I think every EMT should), and I would expect the injuried person to hold me accountable; and, ultimately, I would WANT the injured party to be able to recover money, if that would somehow help them deal with the injury that I hypothetically caused.

Insurance is just a necessary evil... just like taxes and funeral bills.

One of my Paramedic professors became an attorney... (can't beat join em :wink: ) He initially is the one that informed not to purchase insurance, because the chances would be slim. However; as I described there is a sharp rise of litigation's against the medics individuals. I am aware most states have different laws, but most generic describes you can be held liable, for any damage occurred to employer.

Remember that one can be sued for accidents involving equipment such as stretchers ( #1 law suit) if a patient is dropped. If the stretcher did not malfunction, whom are they going to blame ?..

I don't think most would pursue.. but never say never. They can attach a claim on potential earnings or damage suit that may damage your future credit and assets.

The main point I suggest insurance ( I recently purchased 1'st time in 29 yrs of EMS experience) is litigation charges. Again, I have seen how fast loyalty reascends in time of trouble. One can become attorney poor very fast..

Again, it is a individual choice.. and it does not protect from being stupid. Just with the numbers of litigation's increasing, I personally want to have some legal coverage. ....

Be safe,

R/R 911

Just wondering if anyone did like I did and carry an umbrella policy on the homeowners Ins. Did the research and found that it will cover us liability wise in the event of a problem (outside of purposefully committing a criminal act)

Are you SURE that your umbrella policy will cover you for your EMS activities? I would really be interested in the insurance company that issues such a policy, and the exact language in their policy that says that they will cover you for EMS activities. Usually, such policies state the exact opposite. I have an umbrella policy with Nationwide, and I know that they do not cover my EMS activities. Thanks.

Just mentioning that there's malpractice insurance available through membership in the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians. It is a separate payment made to the insuring agency, at reduced cost to NAEMT members.

As I say this, I also say I am a member of the NAEMT, but have not purchased the malpractice insurance for myself.

I further mention it's kind of like my family's thoughts on getting the burglar alarm, that it would invite burglary attempts from thieves wondering what it was we were hiding behind the alarm (we now have an alarm). Following on the thought, "why would you have insurance, what are you trying to hide?"

I mention this only to play devil's advocate, if you feel more comfortable with or without the insurance, that will always be a decision to be made by each individual. In all cases, I KNOW we all will be doing our best regarding patient care.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.