Did I get the job as a EMT for the New York Fire Department

EMTinsobx

I have applied for the position as a EMT for the New York Fire Department. I've went to all procedures and test and have heard nothing from them. All of this was done on the month of October and November of 2005. Would that mean that I did not qualify? I pass the physical, background check, medical test and not too sure about the psychological testing b/c no one has told me that I passed it, so I'm guessing I did. Is there a way in which I can find out my status?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, despite what akflightmedic says, there is something you can do... call your investigator. Don't worry about the psych test, no news is good news and if there was a problem they would have called you in to explain yourself to the in house docs. So call your investigator and say "Is there anything else that you need from me or are missing?" If they say no then sit tight. Also the open filing period for civil service is ending next week and you really need civil service cause those who file get first pick for the academy. They are desperate ( DESPERATE ) for new techs and are running classes on top of each other ( the current class graduates march 14, the next class starts march 13 )... lets just say they lost more emts to the firefighter class then they are gaining from academy classes, that dosnt include the emts they lost to the medic class they recently started and those that are retireing / quitting. Threre will be a dump load of academy classes this year so CALL YOUR INVESTIGATOR!

Despite what I say???

You told him exactly what I did only I did not refer to the person as an "investigator".

My point I was making is contact someone who is within the system. It kills me how many people I see on multiple different forums asking if I got the job or what the process is. Do people not care enough anymore to research what is involved in obtaining the position for which they applied? I never go for any job without first researching and learning about the position and the service first. Then, from the point I make contact, I am asking questions. I never walk away from any part of the hiring process without asking more questions. Doing these things, presents you as an interested canidate. Instead people choose to know nothing about the process, let time fly by and keep asking people on the internet if they got a job or did something wrong. Go to the source...always.

Sorry, I am not picking on you specifically, but I decided to use your post and situation to show as an example to any newbies that may run across this and wonder what to do.

Absolutely AK. ... kinda makes you wonder if they deserve the job?... If you are not responsible enough to ask, or know how to intervene and to even see if they have the job, how aggressive you will be in getting information on patent's. ?

I suggest a couple of things...

1. Ask when they will notify you....also how ?

2. Ask for a business card & whom to contact and best date to re-notify. Don't hound these folks.. but appear interested.

3. If there is testing, ask when you will have the results or will they notify of my results...usually no news is BAD news...how will you know when the next test is ?.. if they are not professional enough to notify me.. I have second thoughts of working for them.

4. Be sure you have a working number or a least message center... as a Supervisor, I don't know how many times I try to call and get a a "D/C notification".. not responsible for a phone, or message center (i.e e-mail, persons take a message) no job... simple enough.

5. Take some responsibility for yourself, it is your career. Again, you are supposed to be responsible enough to take care of others.

Be safe,

R/R 911

Please pay every person who responded to this thread $5. :D

I don't care what anyone says that right there struck me as humorous! :P

BTW, the line to collect your $5 forms right behind me. Now if Nate will just show us where to go to collect I'll be outta here :cya:

Hey EMTinsobx,

I am in the same boat as you. I finished all my testing and am just waiting to be called. I called my investigator and she said I was under review (same thing they always say when I call). She also said the next class does start March 13 and there will be also be one in May. She said I have a good chance of being in either of those classes. If you don't know who your investigator is, call the main number and they will give you the name and phone extension. So call! Good luck! Hopefully we both will be getting a letter soon!