When a C-Collar doesn't fit?

Para-Medic

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the SAM splint or a towel/blanket. We had a lady fall the other day by tripping on a curb and a c-collar wouldn't fit, so we used a towel and some tape in addition to head-blocks which worked rather well. Turned out she had a C-1 fracture.

The SAM splint makes a good C-Collar and it also can be used as an arm board for IVs :!:

Well, we have over-sized wheelchairs/beds/stretchers/coffins, seat belt extenders, bariatric ambulances, and nursing homes specializing in morbid obesity...maybe "plus size" c-collars are next. :tongue:
Word. The service I work with has several Bariatric ambulances. Some of our stretchers are capable of holding 1,500 lbs. :shock: on the ground and 800 in the raised position, the latter is not recommended however for obvious reasons. :wink:

A few weeks ago I had a large man that we could not get anything to fit. Used the blankets in a horseshoe. It seemed to work. Sometime I think we should do that more often, especially when it is very hard to slid the collar under the neck. I have seen many people move the neck to get the collar on. I have been reading and going to presentations lately that are questioning how much spinal immobilization we do, but if we are going to do it I think we need to do what is best for the patient, and moving them around to get the collar is not what is in their best interest.

I agree with all of the above, however i will throw a spanner in the works?

U have a patient who will take a collar, no problems, u size them up, but cant place it because they have had thoracic surgery 6 weeks prior & the pressure on the wound is too painful, even before u put any pressure on it & the patient is complaining of severe neck pain.

I know what we did, but what would u do?

:twisted:

I can sort of relate to that. Had a patient the other night with a lac on the underside of her chin. Used a collar and she handled it okay. Probably should have gone with the blanket horseshoe, works and would have been less painful!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.