Bariatric Transports

akeith106

Does your EMS agency have the budget for an ambulance with either a lift, or portable ramps with a winch under the "Captain's Chair"? Don't forget maintenance for this stuff, after purchase.

They bought the Stryker Bariatric stretcher, and were talking about getting the ramps and winch, but as everyone in EMS knows.... MANAGEMENT MOVES VERY SLOWLY!!!

Maintenance wouldn't be a problem... He have two mechanics on staff with their own station to work in..... You'd think our units would be in better shape.. :P

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is bariatric transport just a nice way of saying "The fat man car"? Because when I do a search for it on line I keep finding things that say, "Up to 1000 lbs."

YEP... Bariatric is the PC term for FAT!

To give you an idea.... the stryker bariatric stretcher can hold up to 800 pounds in the raised position and 1600 pounds in the lowered position.

The bad part is..... We had had to use it in the LOWERED position!!!!! YIKES 1200 # pt....

Man I know this sounds mean, and I also know that once you reach a certain point there ain't any getting back right, but I gotta say it. These folks spend a lifetime making bad choices, consuming poor diets, and generally allowing themselves toget like this. They are killing themselves and now they want to kill me too. Jeez man, move someplace where you can be taken care of if you weigh that much.

I have at least 2 extended care facilities in my service area that are Bariatric "ghettos" as there are no residents on that floor under 500 LBS. We don't have bariatric specialty trucks, we usually ask "suppression" to send an engine, load the patient, still on their bed mattress, onto the floor of the ambulance (stretcher transported in another ambulance, or on the hose bed), and unload onto a hospital bed brought out to the ambulance bays. It ain't pretty, it ain't fast, but it works.

Man I know this sounds mean, and I also know that once you reach a certain point there ain't any getting back right, but I gotta say it. These folks spend a lifetime making bad choices, consuming poor diets, and generally allowing themselves toget like this. They are killing themselves and now they want to kill me too. Jeez man, move someplace where you can be taken care of if you weigh that much.

AMEN!!!!!! I wish!!! We used to have a bariatric patient that lived at home in her apartment. We transported this Pt to a clinic 5 days a week. We had to carry her down 8 steps before we could load her onto the "Big Boy" stretcher. That is the patient that I got 2 lumbar strains with. I didn't get the strains lifting the stretcher.... I got them carrying her down the stairs on a stair chair. Which, by the way, she broke 9 of our stairchairs!!!! 560# :!: :!: :!: :!:

At our company, they always send out 2 units. Its a general rule that the facility requesting the transfer has to notify dispatch if the patient is over a certain weight. However, alot of times, they "forget to mention it"...So then instead they end up calling the w/c drivers in to assist. Ive been on quite a few of those since I started there 2 years ago. :?

• 11 months later...

We have a box that has been modified, and a custom made cot that supports up to 2000 lbs. There are ramps the cot rolls up/down, and there is a wench at the front of the truck to automatically move the cot into and out of the truck. The "only" thing we have to do is get the patient onto and off of the cot. I know there was once an article done on the unit, but I can't remember where it was published. I can look around and see if I can find it, if you are interested.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.