Age Limit For Medics

1EMT-P

I like alot of what i have read so far. As dust put it " the age of consent plus 2 yrs" is great thats 18 yrs old in KS. That is the minimum age to be an EMT. So that would put medics at 21 after they have spent 2 yrs getting their degree so they can test. Sounds great, and is already taking so shape in certain areas.

As far as an upper limit, no we shouldn't need one. If the provider can't recognize it is time to move on to retirement or another not so active or demanding career i would hope that his service would. Kinda like the deaf person post " if you can't do the job, you cant work here" plain and simple.

As far as life experiance, I tend to disagree with it being needed. How do you get it if your not allowed to do anything. An example that comes to mind this. Many services advertising for medics all require a minimum of 1-2 yrs experience before even appling. Ok great i am a new medic just graduated from an accredited program and have recieved an associates degree. Now since i took the program through a college and have not really had any association with a service besides my ride time for field internship, because i spent it all in class and in my dorm studing. The service i did my FI with is not hiring and doesn't look like they will be anytime soon, Where do i go ?

Hardly anyone wants a new medic with zero experience and those that do hire them seem to be literally across the country from you and you don't have anything except Sallie Mae loan payments and no job. It is extremely hard to do. And to be honest you really can get experience to handle what you see in this field with out being in this field. at least thats my opinion.

I have been through alot of BS in my 31 yrs on earth. seen alot and have done alot. Been to all but 3 states and also to five different countries. I like to think i have had alot of different life experiance's that have made me better and more well rounded (my shape not included LOL ) in my approach how i do things. I have lived in the upper middle class and have had to dig myself out of destitution and poverty. I can honestly say that i have eaten out of trash cans and been a "squatter" living in abbandoned houses.

Maybe that has made me better at relating to my patients i don't know but it sure has not scored any points with the people i have worked with. And i honestly has not done anything to change how i treat illness and injury. Besides None of what i have been through had prepared me to see the kind of trauma that we all to often see.

Again this is my opinion and nothing more.

Ohh and dust i think the age of 21 for medics that AK suggested comes from the EMT cert and the 2 yrs of education for medics... The math adds up to right at 21yrs old. .... AK let me know if im wrong ...

Keep your head down and stay safe

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too agree at least 21 for Paramedic. I am sure insurance companies have enough research on age levels. the problem is too many areas are utilizing Basics and Intermediates as their sole providers for EMS, therefore the age would have to be included as well.

Maturity, is not always based upon "life experiences" if it was, there would be plenty of 19 year olds with it. Part of the reason for age requirements is based on more consistent interpretation and application of those life experiences. As well, as most know 90% of this job is not medical related but, having an understanding of the situation, and directing or taking control of crisis moment. Again, research has shown that there is a point of age where the brain develops and more rationale decisions can be made.

Far as older age, I believe there should not be a restriction as long as you are mentally, & physically fit to perform the duties. EMS weeds out more than most other health care providers, by requiring CEU's, refreshers and continuous certification levels.

Be safe,

R/R 911

I became a paramedic at the age of 20 (three months shy of being 21). I don't feel that you can set a true age limit on either of the issues at hand. Every single person is different, and I think that maybe we should have an evaluation program before ANYONE is allowed into this field at all.

Most police departments require an applicant to undergo a psychological evaluation to see if they are even capable of dealing with the job at hand. So why not adopt this to EMS, there are fire departments that are heading that way. (I'm talking more beyond the polygraph test and typical questions asked.)

As someone who became a paramedic at a young age, I was discriminated against. I feel that this has to do with a combination of my generation being so mentally undeveloped and the things learned from the older generation who developed EMS.

I have had issues with paramedics accepting me, but once they saw that I was serious about doing this, that I wanted to learn, and that I did not have that "I know it all" attitude, they relaxed. I now have four to five crews that work under me, a mix of paramedics and basics, and all have faith in me.

So to end this statement, it depends on the person in question and I feel that generalization of an age could be bad for EMS. I also agree with Dustdevil, that 20 seems about right seeing as how most states require the age of 18 to become an EMT and most decent paramedic programs take about 2 years to complete.

Weeeelll....I for one hope no one has a problem with age limit (max) for medics. I'm sure as hell not gettin any younger...and I'm NOT planning on quitting for a LONG time...so the world is stuck with me. If that should include wrinkles, glasses, saggy body and sarcasm, so be it.

Good GOD I hope that never happens to me! :shock:

My goal is to make the National Registry to have to develop a new certificate. I received my "20 year maintaining certification for Paramedic" years ago... I want a 50 yr "Gold one !"...LOL

Be safe,

R/R 911

I have COMPLETE faith in you, Rid. Go get 'em!! :wink:

xoxoxo

How do you get [experience] if your not allowed to do anything. An example that comes to mind this. Many services advertising for medics all require a minimum of 1-2 yrs experience before even appling. Ok great i am a new medic just graduated from an accredited program and have recieved an associates degree. Now since i took the program through a college and have not really had any association with a service besides my ride time for field internship, because i spent it all in class and in my dorm studing. The service i did my FI with is not hiring and doesn't look like they will be anytime soon, Where do i go ?

Of course, job experience is not the "life experience" that was being referred to in the earlier post. And job experience is a whole 'nother issue for a different thread. But I would like to point out that the lack of entry level medic jobs is a consequence of allowing EMT-B's to work 911 ambulances. Nine out of ten employers are going to opt for the cheap labour over the qualified medic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.