thbarnes

Should these medics be fired?  

21 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends/Maybe/Need More Information

16 January 2006

TWO paramedics have been suspended for allegedly failing to answer a 999 call immediately because they felt it was another crew's turn to go out.

The pair are said to have argued with an ambulance service controller, who had ordered them to attend the potentially life-threatening incident.

They finally left their station at Kempston, near Bedford, and arrived four minutes after the Government target time of eight minutes to answer an emergency call.

A spokesman for the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Ambulance service said: "Two members of the trust have been suspended from full duties and we are currently holding an internal investigation."

Sources...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=1...-name_page.html

http://www.seriousaboutnews.com/luton/page...p;storyID=37537

That happens all the time in every EMS I have seen... at shift change time. Never fails, to get a call at shift change.. should be no squabbles, but it does occur. Usually, when a call comes in 3-5 minutes until shift change. We have a policy, if you are coming onto duty and your present.. you go!...

There is no reason for someone to stay over for a call and the company to pay over time. You are also getting a fresh creew member.

For as firng them.. hmm depnds if this a repeat thing or circumstances. More invistigation, certaiinly some form of punishment.

Be safe,

R/R 911

In a situation like that, regardless of weather it was near crew chance or not their actions were needless, reckless and potentially life threatening. If we come into a situation where there might be a more appropriate truck to respond (be it crew change or closer unit) we will bring it to the dispatchers attention but we will do it as we are getting into the truck and responding. You should never dealy patient care to squabble about weather or not its your turn to do the call. Seems pretty selfish seing as the patient probably doesn't care who shows up as long as somebody does.

In short this was a 999 or 911 call. This essentailly means, I have no idea what is going on but I need HELP NOW..If one works in a emergency syatem and is on an Emergency truck or is held to do an emergency. The crew HAS TO GO !! If they don't then yes they should be fired as lives are at stake. That's what your there for. People aren't able to call in and say" Hey, I want to have my massive MI at 6pm. That way I can finish my work, and run the errands I need to." Neither do they say, " You know, 4am would be a great time to get in an MVA..It's just the right time so I won't have to go to work tomorrow..."!!!!! If you want to do this business and be able to tell the dispatcher to stick it and go home semi-on time. Then you need to work in a non-emergent transport only system. Otherwise, stop your wining and do your job, or find another career...I hear Mc Donald's is always willing to hire minimally educated people!! :roll: :twisted: :evil: :x :shock: 8)

OUT HERE!!,

ACE

Uh...yeah....a lot of unanswered questions here, but the way I see it....we all get tired of our job on occasion and just want to go home...but the fact is, our job is to save lives and help people in need. If a call comes in at the end of my shift, yeah...you'd better believe I'm cussing under my breath on some days :angryfire: (others no), but I pick my stuff up and get on the truck. It's the only way, as far as I'm concerned. Now, if the other crew was sitting in their chairs looking at me, then they would have to take it. Like everyone says, unanswered questions. I would not let them repeatedly screw me over. However, if they didn't get on the truck, I wouldn't let it jeopardize someone's life. I would go on the call, and then deal with them at a supervisory level later.

/Sarcasm

Heck no don't fire em, promote em

/sarcasm off

If this was an isolated incident then just a verbal

If consistent then more forceful reprimand

But to fire em, well maybe not that far.

Did the patient get taken care of in the end?

Lot's of unanswered questions on this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.