Police dog struck by a car....What would you do?

vs-eh?

Me being a BIG dog fan, yeah I can see where Id be far more distraught over someone hitting my dog Narcan than my co-worker. Sounds pretty ridiculous but its true.

As for the charges I see the following:

Hit and run

Vehicular assault (mansluaghter if the dog did not pull through)

Failure to stay on-scene

And hitting an officer.

And if you hit my dog and did not fess up to it as an honest person should and ran off and I later found you, youd be staring down the buisness end of a double-barrel pump action shotgun with an extra 3 in the chamber..... :twisted:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the charges I see the following:

Hit and run

Vehicular assault (mansluaghter if the dog did not pull through)

Failure to stay on-scene

And hitting an officer.

Hit and run, and failure to stay on scene (to me) are generally the same thing.

Vehicular assault (and especially manslaughter) are not warranted. Again, (to me) there is then an element of intent or forethought. But then again I don't exactly know why people are charged with vehicular manslaughter (DUI or otherwise). I would think that most of these cases don't have people purposefully (again that can be broad because you decided to go behind the wheel while drinking and in turn likely using "poorer" judgment, beating someone and they end up dying to me is different, intent or not) killing you with their car. But I dunno...

Let's assume and generalize that there are no laws pertaining to accidentally striking an officer with a vehicle as per CHP's laws in CA.

If that is the case then hit and run/failure to remain is likely the only charge, legally. Morally, other things apply...

ok let's talk about this a little more.

/Over the top example but

You are driving in Washington Dc the president has snuck out of the white house and is jogging, you come tooling around and hit him. You leave the scene. Are we to understand that if we continue this line of reasoning that you should be charged with both leaving the scene, and assassination attempt???

/end of over the top example

But its the same thought process

There has to be intent to charge the person with attempted murder on this poor doggie.

Actually I don't know why we(I) are gettin so worked up over this.

I think I'm done

I'm pretty sure the vehicle had the right of way, the dog should have used a designated crosswalk :) .

But in all seriousness, I doubt someone could be charged with assault (or assault on an officer) with a vehicle if he/she was obeying all traffic laws.

However there definitely is a valid case for hit and run.

• 10 months later...

I had a call like this a year or two ago. The paramedic I was with had an ingenious idea for a cpr mask for a dog. He took a water bottle and cut the bottom off and slid the top half over the snout. Then he took the cap off and provided respirations that way. Compressions are preformed behind front leg.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.