I would like your opinion about a funky EKG

EMT6388

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested what kind of monitor you were using and if it was a LP 10 11 or 12 did you have it in diagnostic mode for this recording? Also, you need a 12 lead to really get a more accurate handle on this. I understand you state you dont have 12 lead capabilities so if thats the case you just gotta go with pt assessment, Hx, etc etc Pt chief complaint coupled with findings and get him to a definitive care facility. Did you have a bunch of these strips to compare? It's intersting to see all the responses to your 3 lead strip. Thank you.

Eh. After looking at it a bit more, I still think A-fib but the "ectopic beats" I talked about earlier could very well be Ashman's or even just artifact.

As far as lidocaine, thats definatly a no, but amiodarone would be fine if you believe those are PVCs as amiodarone is sometimes useful in slowing the ventricular rate associated with rapid atrial dysrhythmias (like A-fib or SVT). Furthermore I don't think adenosine would hurt, if nothing else then to slow down the rate and let you see what is going on. Again, being mindful of contraindications.

And lastly, I was a monitor tech for 3 years before I started medic school. You may get lucky with these types of rhythms every once and a while, and you may get good at reading them, but it never hurts to ask someone else what they think it is. Every person reads strips differently, so if someone says it might be SVT and I think it's A-fib, I look for both.

I'm still interested to hear what you think it is, but like everyone else said, unless you happen to be an MD, don't tell me I'm "wrong"

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.