Lift Test

b_493

I wish like he-double hockeysticks that my service had a lift requirement!!! There is a medic that works with me who can barely lift herself! She never takes the head, and can't even put the stupid stretcher into LOAD! I usually get the privilige of working with her.
My partner is like that albeit she is vertically challenged and it's not for lack of effort! I don't mind, she is an excellent Medic and usually takes the head. Good place for her to be IMHO.

Remember, the size of your pt is directly disproportionate to the size of you partner :wink:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey...now....guys.....don't hold size against us small folks. :oops: I am in great shape, and can pretty much pull my own weight...however....yeah...because I'm not very tall or big, it sometimes IS a disadvantage for me, but it doesn't mean I'm bailing out on my fair share of the work. Sometimes it's just more difficult for me...but you'd better believe I'm going to give it my all....or die trying.... :wink:

To all the veterans out there.

How would the new generation like doing a lift test with the old Ferno 2 man cots. Talk about a lot of awkward lifting. All the way up to all the way down and then back up and in to the truck. Thank god we have gone a purchased the new stryker power lift cot. Push a button... done....

Yeah, the old 2 man.. (non-folding legs) that you actually both had to lift and lower.. however when you got good, you could drop the legs/wheels while the patient on the stretcher in the air... you also noticed that the medics was not as "scrawny" then as well.. most could lift at least 150-200 pounds easily.. yes even the small women.

Also did not have the Fire Squads there either, so actually most medics were in better shape... had to be...

Be safe,

R/R 911

Yeah, the old 2 man.. (non-folding legs) that you actually both had to lift and lower.. however when you got good, you could drop the legs/wheels while the patient on the stretcher in the air... you also noticed that the medics was not as "scrawny" then as well.. most could lift at least 150-200 pounds easily.. yes even the small women.

Also did not have the Fire Squads there either, so actually most medics were in better shape... had to be...

Be safe,

R/R 911

We still use these. I do admit it helps my upper body stay in shape. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

when I took my test 7 years ago our lifing test was the following

barbell 125lbs from ground to 4ft

Stair stepper for 6 flights with a 50lbs wieght vest and 2 wieghted bags (I don't know why)

Then for the last trick, lift one end of a backboard to a 45º with a 225lbs load and pivot 90 degrees.

Let just say we had a lot of very strong people on our squad.

It depends on where you go around Flint, most places don't have a "lift test". As someone who is five foot tall, I admit when there is a steep drop down a railing it's a lot more about lifting smart than just lifting. However, I can lift more than a lot of the people at my company, and there is one person I can't work with because I have been hurt by her one too many times. It's the way of the road, I guess, to have one person who can't pull their own weight so to speak.

As for the company in Saginaw, they have a very interesting lift test.. you are given weights up to 180lbs,and you lift them across the room to a box... When you get the box full, you have to lift the box over your head, with good lifting technique. I just don't' see a time or place where someone should be lifting 180 lbs over their head.. maybe that's being shortsighted..

PP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.