Lift Test

b_493

We've got the Stryker stair chairs with the tank treads. Can I just say that this device is one of the greatest inventions ever? I won't go back to using the old ones. Fortunately, all the places I work have the new ones so I've got that covered.

My current FT employer doesn't do much by way of keeping their employees happy...but they did an awful lot by listening to us and agreeing to buy this chair.

-be safe.

Hmm, what do you do in tight stair wells or spiral stairs?

That stair WILL NOT FIT in a lot of houses in my city. We still keep the old Ferno stair chair on board.

Lord help us, some of our stretchers are still two man. A few calls with the two man, and you can skip your work out for the evening. They are awfully good for getting someone off the ground though. They go down very low, and its then only one step from being in a squatting position to getting them in the ambulance. Then again, I need a permit for these GUNS of mine, so its like no problem. :wink:

My city updated our rigs for 1 1/2 mans however we still have a rig and spare stretchers that are 2 mans.

My issues are with people who have no clue about what to do. What happens when the release at the feet jams? You need to use the side release and I've worked with people who do not know what to do from the sides at all whatsoever.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My god two man stretchers. Thankfully those have gone by the wayside in my area. They were very light. I agree they went nice and low.

We use that new ferno chair with the tracks, the only problem I have is it is a royal pain going up with it, if you have basement apartments ughhh. I swear every time i pull that thing out of the truck it gets heavier. Some days I think its made out of cast Iron. It will save your back though. Smooth going down.

Ah stair chairs. What fond memories that conjures. I remember on the very first call I went on during my clinicals, we ran on a grand mal seizure. The gentleman was in the basement family room with stairs that were so steep that they practically ran straight up and down. Living in the midwest, there had originally been no stairs coming up from the "cellar." It was accessed from the outside by those big tornado doors. Sometime after the house was built, the cellar was turned into a finished basement and this staircase was added. So we get our patient in the stair chair, since the tornado doors had been sealed off with concrete and we couldnt get a stretcher in. As we were going up the stairs, the EMT went first moving the front of the chair and the medic was at the chairs back and I was behind the medic. I was proud of myself for following exactly what I was taught that I had my hand on his back and was calling out "step up, step up, step up." We got almost all the way to the top when I got the toe of my boot on the front of a stair and started to tumble backwards into the two LEOs that were behind me and sending us back down about 6 or 7 steps. When we managed to right ourlselves and the medic hollars down "everybody ok?" I look back at the LEOs, one of whom was the duty sergeant and he looks at me and says "step up." I have nightmares about stair chairs.

• 3 months later...

The FT service that I am on requires you to pass their fitness and lift test in order for them to hire you. The fitness test consists of compressions at the proper rate for three to four minutes, carrying equipment up and down stairs and through hallways, several (monkey) tricks, and of course the lift test. It starts with what is considered the pediatric lift. They place sand bags on a backboard equalling 80lbs with most of the weight at the head. You are required to lift with another person both the feet and head of the board, carry it 20 feet one way, back, load it on the cot (not a Stryker power cot), raise and lower cot, then load into the rig. After you perform this lift they increase the weight to 125lbs, 180lbs, 200lbs, and finally 225lbs while repeating the same process for each measurement. The test takes about two to three hours. you are penalized for having to stop to readjust your hand position. I did great on all except the 225lb lift. Because the higher weight is a new test, I am being given the chance to redo the lifts. If I do not pass I will be relieved from my duties. I thought this was unfair until last week when we had a pt weighing in at about 350lbs. I am only 5'2" and being on the shorter side definitely puts you at a disadvantage. While loading the cot into the rig I have to hoist the cot and use my stomach to help support it. My abdominal muscles are getting stronger every day. If I have any advice for others out there, know your limitations to avoid injury. Also, there are specific stretches and exercises you can do to stengthen the muscles you use when lifting. Squats with your feet shoulder width apart and using a barbell being sure not to exceed 45lbs help to strengthen the leg and stomach muscles. Placing your foot on a stair with your leg fully extended about 8 to 12 inches high and stretch your upper body foward will stretch the muscles of the leg especially the hamstring. Lunges increase the flexibility of the legs and helps to strengthen the muscles of the back (you can also use hand weights with these). Arm curls with hand weights will help to increase arm muscle. You can also do shoulder circles both forward and backward with hand weights. These are things you need to do everyday in order for them to be effective. I do them while watching the news. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

125lbs? You're lucky we got another 50 lbs on top of that when I did mine. Here they throw a dummy on a scoop stretcher and they partner you up with someone. You have to go up and down 2 flights of stairs. You usually end going backwards one way and facing forward the other.

Hope it helps

• 1 month later...

At my service my partner and I had to lift 300 lbs. They're supposed to start with just 50 lbs and work your way up to 300, but they said screw it, just start at 300 instead of tiring yourself out. So me being 6ft 140lbs didn't have as hard a time doing it as my partner, 5ft even and maybe 100lbs. But we had to lower the stretcher, raise it up, then load and unload it into the unit. We both did it and passed. It's not too hard since your lifting around 150 each depending whose at the head.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.