EMS Infidelity

andrean678

Have you had an affair with a partner?  

48 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Not with a partner, but another co worker.....

I have seen this type of activity for the past 27 years in EMS. I have even tried to have researchers study why Fire, EMS & Law Enforcement has a higher infidelity issue. I believe that yes, it is some of the behavior patterns that enter the field. Some of it is based on tradition that re-enforces this behavior and even praised. But mainly I believe it is mainly based on personality and maturity level as well. No, I am no angel and I too have had many errors in life.

The psyche of the some EMT's are definitely askew and some have some very big issues of closeness, companionship and allowing of open of feelings. I find it ironic most in EMS will criticize some patients behavior pattern and at the same time condone and actually brag about infidelity and promote it, with no regards of the consequences to others emotionally, physically, and the long term effects such action has.

I have always heard the excuse....."It is just part of the business"... "It happens everywhere"... unfortunately, it appears this might be true, and I believe many use this as an excuse and a cop-out. However; should we still condone this behavior ?.... If one can not be honest and be faithful to a mate, what type of personality trait does this reflect in general.

I hope to see EMS shed some of this behavior. We will never be respected as a profession if the people that make up the profession do not present ones that cannot be trusted. Yes, it does occur in other professions, but I do not believe it is promoted as much as it is in EMS.

Be safe,

R/R 911

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Beegers

Not affair but I started seeing my partner (from different company) for about 7 mos...and since then I've hooked up with a coworker (not partner) from the company I work at now (he initiated the umm communications and we flirted A LOT).

I have to agree with some of the posts above. When you mix long work hours, a station with beds, and generally only you and your partner there; that is a sure thing for something if the people are attracted to each other. I've worked with women and men; and generally I usually know more about both of them then their wives/husbands.

Around the Houston area about 98% of the women are women you wouldn't want to sleep with (ugly, STDs, or general hoes) and the same goes for the men. I don't tolerate medics that over do the flirting (be it in the station or at a hosptial), nor do we allow visitors at the station past 2100 and they aren't allowed for any reason in the bunk room.

I know of several fellow medics (male) that have had their wives have affairs on them while they were at work. Generally we see more of that here then affairs at the work place (most people that date/have sex around here are single).

We will never be respected as a profession if the people that make up the profession do not present ones that cannot be trusted.

Well said ryder911...

by my saying PD and FF are here at night, while we are all very close and have nothing better to do on the overnights, they are just hanging out with us. do we flirt? sure...while i cannot speak for my partner, hanging out is all that's happening with me....oh and when i can...SLEEPING, lol yes, actually sleeping

Guest Beegers

Well the guy I was with last year that I used to work with I knew BEFORE I started working there so it was a little different.

But it also makes me think of the call I had this morning with ALS...both medics were setting up in the rig as we were bringing the pt out on the reeves. After we load the pt, I try reaching around the medic sitting in the captain seat to open the main O2 tank but I couldn't reach becasue the back of the chair was shoving up into my chest and my err boobs were unintentionally near the one medic's face...His partner who was starting a line on the patient said "I'm next!" :shock:

Err umm I guess we actually had a Monoc ALS unit in a good mood today considering they were the only unit for the area for the day.

All I can say about this is that no matter what a person does for a living or profession...If he/she is a cheater...they are going to cheat on their spouse no matter where they work or where they play. A cheater is a cheater. They may be the best at what they do...but if that is the kind of person they are...they are going to do it anyway.

I personally have never cheated on my spouse when I was married to him...but I was always accused of it....1- because my partner was very handsome, 2-because we worked a lot of calls together, 3-because it was always late at night, 4-because of my husbands insecurities and as much as he appreciated what I did, he had been cheated on before in the past...so he was untrusting anyway, even though he knew I was not that kind of person.

If infidelity is highest in EMS, Police and Fire....I would think it was because they were cheaters in the first place when they came into it....or like mentioned above...working so much together....opening up to each other and becoming close as friends....you start to care about your partner...and you become so close that you even begin sharing your struggles and problems at home with and that sometimes leads to things.......counting on each other.....being there for each other...occasional flirting. I don't know...like I said I've never cheated on my husband when I was married to him...I have thought about what it would have been like with my partner...I'm sure he did too...but neither one of us acted upon it. Would I now with him..now that Iam single? No because he is married and to me that is a no tread zone. Now if he was single who knows..

I also work with one of the FF's ...we both work for the city as well as being on some calls together...so we are some what close as friends...and have to do a lot of things together...he is married and is a huge flirt....yes he would love to crawl into bed with me...but its a no tread zone...and as long as I'm strong about the "no tread zone" I think I'll be ok. And even though I could....I never want to be the "Other Woman" to a married man. That is just not cool to me.

As a former Air Traffic Controller, it wasn't all that uncommon for extra-curricular activities with co-workers and/or cheating with a co-workers spouse (not speaking for myself). And in airports where there are just one or two workers on a night shift, the control tower has been used for more than controlling planes.

I think it is a combination of ego, loneliness, nobody understands me and simple gratification. When you have a lot of responsibility it seems to draw out insecurity and that seems to be curbed some by a quick fix of 'gettin some'.

Extra

Marital

Sex

I didn't come up with that one. Look, we drive around for long hours in something with a bed, lubricant, and restraints in the back. What do you think is gonna happen?

Extra

Marital

Sex

I didn't come up with that one. Look, we drive around for long hours in something with a bed, lubricant, and restraints in the back. What do you think is gonna happen?

:notworthy: :laughing3:

Just be glad we use the big, high-box rigs these days. I know a guy who used to work in the late 60's- early 70's who concussed himself. Hit the back of his head on the overhead dome light when his partner driving hit a speed bump. :oops:

No, I wasn't a 'ride along' on that one, but I did hear about it in the ER when he came in to get the back of his head stitched up. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.