Advice for EMT School?

Hello all!

I am very excited to announce that I have finally enrolled in emt school in Knoxville,TN after wanting to do so my whole life. I graduated high school in 2012, and joined the national guard when I was a junior in high school. Now my life long dream of becoming an EMT/Medic is about to begin and I couldn't be happier. My question is, what advice can any of yall give me to help me out. If I'm not mistaken, when we went to the student orientation about it, they are going to be teaching EMT and Advanced EMT in one class, so we should get our Advanced EMT cert apon completion. I have already purchased the books and have some experience through my local volunteer fire department, as well as taking a Combat Life Saver course through the national guard, which is the same as a civilian first responder course. In High School I took all of my health science classes.

Thanks

Hey man, how long do you have before your class starts?

Anatomy and physiology are your friends in EMS. If you can get those in college level courses you'll be shocked at how much benefit they offer you...

Studying A&p for sure.

Also maybe getting ahead on the vocabulary. That seemed to throw a lot of people off on the test. Many of the words we saw were not in our books.

• Like 1

First off, congratulations and welcome to the industry!

Secondly, advice for school.

I'm going to have to agree with the people commenting before me; if you can, get anatomy & physiology down, and to add to that start brushing up on your introductory pathophysiology.

My next piece of advice, don't let anyone take away that spark you have! You're motivated and passionate, and for the rest of your career you're going to have bitter, jaded, crusty old medics try to make you as bitter, jaded, and crusty as them. Fight the power, rock and roll, and keep on trucking in the free lane, my friend.

You'll do great in school, as long as you continue to love what you're learning. Good luck

Edited by Jaymazing
  • Like 1