Motorcycle Accidents

I've seen many with all different kinds of outcomes, just throwing this out there, my brother was on his bike doing 35, he struck the side of an izuzu rodeo, and died 3 days later in trauma icu. so they are lethal at a very low rate of speed. All i can say is if you do purchase a bike, purchase your PPE first. best of luck and safe travels

Damn, really sorry to hear that. Yeah I'll definitely be getting gear as soon as I get one. I might ride one home with just a helmet and winter coat when I first get it, but as soon as it's home I would order all the gear and not ride it again until I had it.

Man I'm so torn! I want one sooo bad, but it just scares the shit out of me. It sucks that there's nothing like it though. I could get a dirt bike at some point in the future, but it's not the same and it's still dangerous. I'm a really careful person so it just scares me more then most people. I haven't even had a broken bone because I hate being hurt and I make sure I don't do stupid stuff. As I type that I realize how stupid that sounds considering my thread, but I don't know how to explain it. I just cant shake the feeling of really wanting one.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're scared, don't get a bike. It will make you a hesitant rider and more at risk. The best rider I know are confident and assertive riders, but even then. One of my best friends growing up was hit, in a coma for a few months, and now has a severe decrease in function

It's.

If you're scared, don't get a bike. It will make you a hesitant rider and more at risk. The best rider I know are confident and assertive riders, but even then. One of my best friends growing up was hit, in a coma for a few months, and now has a severe decrease in function

It's.

I don't know if there was supposed to be something after it's, but yeah I know what you mean. I am scared(of idiots), but if I wasn't I would be an idiot. I know how dangerous they are. I know that once I get on a bike I'm not that scared, but there's always that what if in the back of my mind.

Statistically, being a pedestrian and driving a car is more dangerous then motorcycles, but there are a heck of a lot more pedestrians and cars then motorcycles at the same time. I can't believe that in around 100 years of motorcycles existing, still no one has come up with a really good safety system for them. That's pretty sad.

Why is it always nurses? And let me guess. They were psych and OB nurses, too, weren't they? That frequently seems to be the case.

I don't know what kind they were and I don't care, I'm just glad they were there to convince his friends he couldn't ride down the mountain. I thank God for 7hem as dad lost consciousness a short time later. Nurses, paramedics, doctors, hell had they been cnas they probably saved his life by not allowing him back on that bike. He was confused enough he just might have thought it was OK. Dads friends didn't know better.

I have had my current partner for the last 4 years. Every time he thinks about getting a motorcycle we work a motorcycle wreck. Let's just say he never gets one.

I am unsure how many motorcycle accidents I have worked, but I do know they never are in good shape. Most get flown, none have walked away from the scene.

One guy was drunk, wearing all the protective equipment, didn't act like he was in pain. He had no road rash, but he had two broken clavicles, fractured arm, fractured pelvis, multiple rib fractures, a knee injury that required surgery, and a concussion despite the helmet. Just shows that the protective gear can't protect against everything.

I don't know if there was supposed to be something after it's, but yeah I know what you mean. I am scared(of idiots), but if I wasn't I would be an idiot. I know how dangerous they are. I know that once I get on a bike I'm not that scared, but there's always that what if in the back of my mind.

Statistically, being a pedestrian and driving a car is more dangerous then motorcycles, but there are a heck of a lot more pedestrians and cars then motorcycles at the same time. I can't believe that in around 100 years of motorcycles existing, still no one has come up with a really good safety system for them. That's pretty sad.

Sorry, I was distracted and posting from my iPad. I meant to say that if you are nervous and unsure...WAIT. I have had family members and very close friends involved in wrecks that have unspeakable consequences.

Also, if you just came here for gory stories, then likely you're not ready for a bike. You either are willing to accept that at least once and likely more often you will lay that bike down. When you are a new rider, you will likely lay that bike down several times and most frequently in parking lots and at red lights. My other half rides and is an exceptional rider. I worry every time he goes out there because of other drivers. There is a reason he'll go down the highway at 90+...it's to be pro-active and avoid other drivers. If he goes faster than the flow of traffic and is ahead of the other drivers, they're less likely to get in the way. Now, he's been riding since a very young age, and I have been riding for several years as well, we're now thinking of selling our bikes.

Insurance is very expensive if you finance the bike... talking $100/month or more easily. You will lay it down multiple times, especially riding it home so please get leathers before you buy it. A lot of dealers will work accessories into financing for you.

Best of luck.

how can you make them safer? The loud pipes, while some people think they are annoying are also a safety feature, to be heard. Driving with headlights on... not a whole lot more that can be done. Wear bright colored clothing, or a vest. Have a full faced helmet fitted. A riders jacket. ..

Bicycles are hard to spot and get hit by cars, people still ride them. Motorcycles are adding speed to it. That's where defensive driving comes into play. I still choose to ride. I can't say I wear the leather or the boots. I grew up on motorcycles. Unfortunately , if I ever lay one down I'm going to get one hell of a road rash, but I could die from driving my car, eating my steak etc but I enjoy riding and will continue.

Sorry, I was distracted and posting from my iPad. I meant to say that if you are nervous and unsure...WAIT. I have had family members and very close friends involved in wrecks that have unspeakable consequences.

Also, if you just came here for gory stories, then likely you're not ready for a bike. You either are willing to accept that at least once and likely more often you will lay that bike down. When you are a new rider, you will likely lay that bike down several times and most frequently in parking lots and at red lights. My other half rides and is an exceptional rider. I worry every time he goes out there because of other drivers. There is a reason he'll go down the highway at 90+...it's to be pro-active and avoid other drivers. If he goes faster than the flow of traffic and is ahead of the other drivers, they're less likely to get in the way. Now, he's been riding since a very young age, and I have been riding for several years as well, we're now thinking of selling our bikes.

Insurance is very expensive if you finance the bike... talking $100/month or more easily. You will lay it down multiple times, especially riding it home so please get leathers before you buy it. A lot of dealers will work accessories into financing for you.

Best of luck.

going down the highway at 90 will just make him catch up to other drivers.

I think everyone has laid the bike down at a stop light. Embarrassing to say the least.

There is a special way to stand a bike back up that is worth learning

My insurance is 300 a year on an 08 vstar 1300

Yeah I'm talking about sport bike insurance. I have no experience in the cruising world.

After you guys mentioned insurance I looked around and it looks like it would be $75 per year for liability, and $200 per year for collision and comprehensive on a 250cc sport bike. It's $500 per year for full coverage on a 500cc sport bike. Not too bad.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.