level of registration

nsmedic393

What is your current level of registration?  

65 members have voted

1. 1.

• EMR/MFR
    • EMT-B
    • EMT-I
    • EMT-CC
    • EMT-P
    • PCP(primary care paramedic)
    • ICP(intermediate care paramedic)
    • ACP(advanced care paramedic)

You forgot "LP" or Licensed Paramedic. It is one step above EMT-P in Texas. ;)

I wouldn't call it a step above EMT-P. Remember you use to be able to get it with a two year degree in art history if that is what you had. Now you just need a two year degree in science.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't call it a step above EMT-P.

You would if you had it. ;)

Remember you use to be able to get it with a two year degree in art history if that is what you had. Now you just need a two year degree in science.

Incorrect. Unless your degree is in EMS, you must have a Bachelors (four year) degree or higher.

I'm an NREMT-P and a KS certified Mobile Intensive Care Technician and a TX certified Paramedic. I could get the Licence but i figured im not in TX anymore so why bother....lol and near as i could tell it is quite a deal when it comes to being hired on a service in TX. the service i was going to work for really took an interest when they found out i was able to be licenced.

Highlights ... are there any????

you also forget the UK titles completely

Ambulance Care Assistant

'middle tier' Ambulance Attendant ( different services have different titles)

Trainee Ambulance Technician

SJA Emergency Ambulance Attendent / Red Cross IHCD Ambulance Attendent

Qualified Ambulance Technician

Registered Paramedic

and also RN + one ofthe qualificatiosn other than Paramedic

Thanks for that insight, Zip! ;)

This is the first I have heard of UK training titles. Can you give a little info about the educational requirements for each?

You would if you had it. ;)

Does me no good, I can do the same thing, make the same wage, and it would set me back a semester to go back and take the EMS classes. (One of which is the EMT-B since I took mine in high school.) Plus I like the medical directors patch (and pay) a lot better. :)

9="Dustdevil 31"

Incorrect. Unless your degree is in EMS, you must have a Bachelors (four year) degree or higher.

Still only need a two year degree with a science background. Had a friend who went through EMT-P with me and he just sent in his paperwork. He had the regular requirements for a AAS degree + his EMT-B, EMT-I, and EMT-P classes as college credit.

Still only need a two year degree with a science background. Had a friend who went through EMT-P with me and he just sent in his paperwork. He had the regular requirements for a AAS degree + his EMT-B, EMT-I, and EMT-P classes as college credit.

Hmmm... there seems to be some confusion up there then. As recently as two weeks ago I was told on the phone by TDH that only EMS associates degrees qualified for LP. All others must have at least a bachelors. And the TDH website still says that.

Not that confusion is uncommon at TDH. :roll:

you also forget the UK titles completely

following on from dustdevil's request about training / educational requirements

Ambulance Care Assistant

2- 4 weeks of classroom training concentrating on very basic ambulance care, a lot of emphasis on moving and handling and communication plus first aid type EMS skills, also a driving course concertating on good basic vehicle control and handling

'middle tier' Ambulance Attendant ( different services have different titles)

some more training developing ambulance patient assesment skills, and in some services emergency driver training

Trainee Ambulance Technician

at least 8 if not more weeks training, plus a 3 or 4 week driving course including emergency driving, some services have operational training, others put peopel out working with QATs or paramedics straight away

SJA Emergency Ambulance Attendent / Red Cross IHCD Ambulance Attendent

flexibly delivered covering the core syllabus of ambulance technician but for volunteer crews with St. John or British red cross

Qualified Ambulance Technician

what a trainee technican turns into after 12 months experience and satisfactorily completing their assessments - traditionally this is when the " Millar Badge " was awarded

Registered Paramedic

traditionally 6 weeks of training scholl plus 4 =6 weeks of hospital placements on top of QAT

moving now to DipHE / Foundation degree or Honours degree program over 2.5 - 4 years

and also RN + one ofthe qualificatiosn other than Paramedic

depends on who you are working for, but certaining for the voluntary secotr can open the way to some paramedic skills or being able to do things that others with the qualifcation or QATs aren't allowed to do

Hmmm... there seems to be some confusion up there then. As recently as two weeks ago I was told on the phone by TDH that only EMS associates degrees qualified for LP. All others must have at least a bachelors. And the TDH website still says that.

Not that confusion is uncommon at TDH. :roll:

Haha, that is true...they can't even pick a name to call themselves. But it seems that an LP only needs an AAS degree plus EMT-P certification with all classes being taken through a college. My basic I earned in high school through a joint program with Cypress Creek EMS. It was a year long class that taught us not only how to be a basic, but how the body reacts in emergencies (on the basic level), as well as how to function with a paramedic. Yet I was told by three different colleges that I would have to retake the class because it wasn't enough to challenge the test. (WTF?)

Also, the biology that I needed for the university wouldn't transfer from the community college I was at, so there was no reason for me to retake biology and A&P to become an LP and then to satisfy my biology/pre-med degree. The LP degree is a joke in Texas.

Also, the biology that I needed for the university wouldn't transfer from the community college I was at, so there was no reason for me to retake biology and A&P to become an LP and then to satisfy my biology/pre-med degree. The LP degree is a joke in Texas.

So then why bother with a pre-med degree if pre-professional education is so irrelevant?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.