EMS Work and Osteoporosis

In a nut shell, after a fall at work this year and suffering compression fractures, I was diagnosed with moderate to severe osteoporsis with a high risk for fracture. I really miss EMS while I'm recuperating, but am wondering if EMS work is really for me. I am an EMT-Basis and missed Spring semester because of these compression fractures. I have been in a brace now for almost 8 weeks and face some physical therapy. I have one doctor that's optomistic of a full return and another doctor that is telling me to considering changing my line of work.

I'm wondering if anyone out there is in the same boat and still functioning as a field EMT? I would appreciate any input that you may have.

Edited by dstevens58

Field may be more difficult than ER. I have severe joint problems that have resulted in bilateral shoulder fusions and have had to leave field world behind me. Don't rule out the fun you can have in the ER. Best of luck to you!

I'm guessing that since you said you missed spring semester, you are young & in school. The fall you had has nothing to do with your underlying osteoporosis.

The problem is long term the stresses subjected on your spine in this business will certainly cause more issues down the road.

Back problems are oe of the leading reasons for EMS providers to either retire of move to a less strenuous employment.

Talk to your DR and ask him/her what they think about long term repetitive lifting carrying of heavy weights including up & down stairs, and over uneven terrain.

I had a compression/end plate fracture last year along with a herniation and was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Diesease. My surgeon told me I should rethink my career in EMS. I am currently in college seeking a B.S. and hoping my back holds out long enough for me to have a fall back plan.

Whatever you do make sure you are ok with the consequences. Back injuries are serious business and shouldn't be taken lightly. If you pursue EMS make sure you have a fall back plan. I wish I had a fall back plan, then I wouldn't be suffering through shifts while trying to finish college.

Good luck!

I'm guessing that since you said you missed spring semester, you are young & in school. The fall you had has nothing to do with your underlying osteoporosis.

The problem is long term the stresses subjected on your spine in this business will certainly cause more issues down the road.

Back problems are oe of the leading reasons for EMS providers to either retire of move to a less strenuous employment.

Talk to your DR and ask him/her what they think about long term repetitive lifting carrying of heavy weights including up & down stairs, and over uneven terrain.

I will be 55 next month. You don't have to be young to be in school. I am retired from a career in law enforcement (multiple areas of expertise) and returned to EMS since I was an EMT at one time and former Navy Hospital Corpsman (Independent Duty Tech). I just loved EMS. I got my Basic, then volunteer fire fighter credentials. Then the accident with compression fractures of T9, T10 and T11.

I returned to college last year in hopes of picking up my degree in EMS with a paramedic program.

I realize that the fall is what caused my compression fractures. As a result, I also found I have osteoporosis.

I had a compression/end plate fracture last year along with a herniation and was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Diesease. My surgeon told me I should rethink my career in EMS. I am currently in college seeking a B.S. and hoping my back holds out long enough for me to have a fall back plan.

Whatever you do make sure you are ok with the consequences. Back injuries are serious business and shouldn't be taken lightly. If you pursue EMS make sure you have a fall back plan. I wish I had a fall back plan, then I wouldn't be suffering through shifts while trying to finish college.

Good luck!

Yes, I have one doctor that is telling me I should consider another line of work and another doctor that is still optomistic about a return. Will just have to wait and see what God has in store for me.

Edited by dstevens58

My apologies for thinking you were young.

From one old fart to another: You probably have not got the recovery potential in your back to continue in EMS. As I approach 58 this year with 40 + years in EMS, & retirement coming soon, my back is letting me know every day that it is no longer young. This is a very strenuous career for your back and the customers are NOT getting any lighter. In a population where 300 pounders are common and 4-500 pounders are becoming that way, how do you want to spend your retirement years?

Even with the power lift stretchers with their 500 & 750 pound rating they groan a little with some patients.

Reality is: an EMT or Paramedic with a bad back is a liability for a company to hire and even though many of us have acquired back problems because of the job it would be hard to get through a hiring physical with the conditions you have.

My apologies for thinking you were young.

From one old fart to another: You probably have not got the recovery potential in your back to continue in EMS. As I approach 58 this year with 40 + years in EMS, & retirement coming soon, my back is letting me know every day that it is no longer young. This is a very strenuous career for your back and the customers are NOT getting any lighter. In a population where 300 pounders are common and 4-500 pounders are becoming that way, how do you want to spend your retirement years?

Even with the power lift stretchers with their 500 & 750 pound rating they groan a little with some patients.

Reality is: an EMT or Paramedic with a bad back is a liability for a company to hire and even though many of us have acquired back problems because of the job it would be hard to get through a hiring physical with the conditions you have.

No offense, appology accepted and YES, I am an old FART also. I work part-time as an EMT with a private ambulance company and, in fact, was working for them when I fell and injured my back. I also volunteer for our local fire department. I am beginning to wonder if I'm more of liability and if I should continue after healing.

The first priority is to get my back healed, or somewhat close to normal. Then, I'm going to have to evaluate if this work is truly in my best interest from a back-health stand point.

Thanks for your input (and everyone elses).

First off, "What's a 'Yout?'"

If young enough that you're mentioning missing a school semester (college semester?), or even if a bit older (I'm days away from being 59, and have been in EMS for 38 years), I would suggest listing all activities required of you for your EMS services, and if so involved, with your Fire Department services, then presenting the list to your orthopedic doctors, department doctors, and your family doctors, make sure they all know that all of them are being asked the same questions of, "Will I be able to recover from my injuries and/or illnesses sufficiently to return to work, without either endangering myself or others who I'd be assigned to work with? What level of the normal tasks of the job would I be able to do, or should I try and find a less strenuous line of employment, either within or outside of the profession?"

If you feel it might help, have them all discuss your case. One way or another, they will never advise you wrong, even if they disagree with each other, or you, as to an outcome. Each person, and their case, is a separate thing, and I wish you luck.

I wish I had more time for a lengthy reply, but here is my opinion.

As a passionate Paramedic with Ankylosing Spondylitis that has led to degeneration of my hips and lower spine, suffering from migranes once a week and on immunosuppressant injections - I say you can only live one time (probably). Some people are given crappy biological structures to do what we can during our life, so that's what I do.

Lift as little as possible.

Avoid high impact activities (jumping out of back of your rig)

Walk on flat surfaces whenever possible (avoid falls)

Utilize backup

Eat healthy, and take your meds.

When you can no longer work..... stop.

If you do not have the "EMS bug", then just quit now...... But I can't..... I'm hooked, and i'm gonna give my disease a run for its money!

I wish I had more time for a lengthy reply, but here is my opinion.

As a passionate Paramedic with Ankylosing Spondylitis that has led to degeneration of my hips and lower spine, suffering from migranes once a week and on immunosuppressant injections - I say you can only live one time (probably). Some people are given crappy biological structures to do what we can during our life, so that's what I do.

Lift as little as possible.

Avoid high impact activities (jumping out of back of your rig)

Walk on flat surfaces whenever possible (avoid falls)

Utilize backup

Eat healthy, and take your meds.

When you can no longer work..... stop.

If you do not have the "EMS bug", then just quit now...... But I can't..... I'm hooked, and i'm gonna give my disease a run for its money!

Good advice.

Yes, I do have the "EMS bug". It governed my decision to become a hospital corpsman in the Navy, and it governed my decision to re-enter EMS upon my retirement from law enforcement. Just like all good things, I'm having problems dealing with myself and the possibilty I might have to do something else.

Thanks for your input.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.