My preceptor

MariB

OK, I need your opinions and help.

I went back to the first hospital with ambulance service I went to and again had a great experience. There is one gentleman in particular , a paramedic who taught me things a classroom setting never could... his experience, faith in me and leadership, along with the way he treated me will stick with me forever.

I don't even know if he realizes how good he is as a teacher. I already told his director about him when I called and asked if I could finish my clinicals there and they made sure I was with him again.

I told my program director today, but this man has changed my life. How do you thank someone for this? He can't know how much it meant to me.

He seems to be quite humble.

Should I write a letter to human resources? Or what?

I was also invited back anytime, and even though I have my contacts done, I'm considering another shift just for more time with him.

A letter is always appropriate. A carefully worded letter to HR and his supervisor will go a long way in thanking him. They generally get added to personell files and will be reviewed when/if he applies for a promotion or is up for a raise.

I think anything more than that would be pushing on inappropriate though. Often times you aren't allowed to accept gifts while on the job and it could put him in an uncomfortable position.

A similar situation was when I was in medic school, a patient adored me and wanted to thank me. The nurse suggested she write my instructor a letter of appreciation. I later found out about it and that was really meaningful to read.

• Like 1

Yup, Kate nailed it. If you want to thank someone professionally, thank their superiors. You know that bumper sticker on commercial vehicles."How's my driving, call 1-800 ......" I tend to call them to report GOOD driving because they almost never get a good phone call, only bad. So, when I see those guys cut another driver some slack and do something courteous for another driver, I call the number to let them know.

It's actually kinda fun because it also brightens up the day for the call taker who is expecting to hear another pissed off driver.

As others have said: Positive commentary on the performance of one's job is worth a lot.

Write the letter to the supervisor and CC the manager. Commentary on how the preceptor went above the norm in making you feel comfortable and well informed, about providing quality care for the patients.

One attaboy letter wipes out 5 awshits.

Congrats on getting a great preceptor, as some folks end up with someone who tells them to sit over there and take notes.

A great preceptor early in your career can make a world of difference in inspiring you to always be better than you need to be.

I was lucky to be inspired early in my career by working with some incredible folks who pushed me to always be a shining star and don't ever allow complacency to be OK.