hello from a future emt student

imouto

Hello. Just for a bit of background, I just graduated from university with a BA in linguistics. I also took several psych classes beyond general psych. I had hoped to go straight for my masters in SLP, but I did poorly outside of my major and psych classes, so I'm not ready to take the GREs and end up wasting money on applying.

Anyway, in the meantime, I'm taking some classes at the local community college to aquire more prerequisites and hopefully prove that I am capable of having a much higher GPA. I'm also working at a SNF as a receptionist and secretary in the admin office helping with billing and such for barely over minimum wage. I definitely don't get enough hours and want more clinical experience, and I've really been drawn to the idea of being an EMT for a few years. Though I'd like to work as an ER tech specifically, any EMT job sounds exciting. If I like it enough, maybe I'll just become a paramedic!

The next available course is an intensive one month program that I'll hopefully complete this May.

So I look forward to reading a lot more on here and getting to know you guys!

Welcome to the City.

Many hospitals hire Paramedics to be ER technicians in the northeast.

Thank you!

Welcome to the city. I see you've jumped right in. Well done.

Haha, thanks. I'm a bit addicted to posting on forums in general. And a bit loquacious as well.

I can be a forum addict too, especially in my field of interest.

I am also a student. Over halfway through a 9 month program.

One month could be hard. There is a lot to absorb. I take a lot of notes.

We started out as once a week, went to twice a week. A few extra days have been put in as Iowa Scope of practice is changing. Course was described as 150 hours of lecture and skills plus days of module tests and review, but if I counted right, we will easily hit 200 . Which is fine with me, I love my classes.

Welcome to the board and consider your options. Fast track is fast, but I wouldn't go that route.

I can be a forum addict too, especially in my field of interest.

I am also a student. Over halfway through a 9 month program.

One month could be hard. There is a lot to absorb. I take a lot of notes.

We started out as once a week, went to twice a week. A few extra days have been put in as Iowa Scope of practice is changing. Course was described as 150 hours of lecture and skills plus days of module tests and review, but if I counted right, we will easily hit 200 . Which is fine with me, I love my classes.

Welcome to the board and consider your options. Fast track is fast, but I wouldn't go that route.

Yeah, I figured it would be pretty dense and a lot to take on in just a month.

I want to feel like I can handle that load, since I was able to work 6 days a week while taking 5 AP classes in high school (including AP chem and calc) but I burned out reeeeeally quickly and did significantly less... impressive when I was in college. Obviously not trying to brag, since it ended up hurting my academic career in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome,

I'll tell you one thing, working in EMS is one of the greatest life experiences you can have, for anything you do, for the rest of your life.

Mike

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.