Epileptic as a EMT?

jsd67

As I said above: In this state and several others I've worked in, a person with a diagnosis of Epilepsy or a seizure disorder cannot hold a driver license . Can't hold a commercial drivers license either.

PS I don't make the laws

Edited by island emt

As I said above: In this state and several others I've worked in, a person with a diagnosis of Epilepsy or a seizure disorder cannot hold a driver license . Can't hold a commercial drivers license either.

PS I don't make the laws

What?

You can definitely have a license if you are epileptic. I would know, because I am epileptic and have a license. In my state, you must be seizure free for 1 year and usually medicated (unless doctors have determined you "grew out of it" and only had them in childhood). They had me get my doctor to sign off that I'm seizure free and safe to drive. I got my license when I was 16 -- 1.5 years after I had my last seizure. Do you know how many people would be unable to drive if what you stated was true?

Different states do have rules regarding seizure activity and driving.

I just have faced so much discrimination lately because of a genetic condition I have that I get really pissed off when people make a blanket generalization about stuff like this. Just because someone has a condition, doesn't mean they can't live a normal life.

• Like 2

My son has been driving since he was 17. He had to delay a bit due to seizures. He holds a license. Iowa it is 6 months.

Some services hire drivers. EMTs don't always drive.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.