Fairfax County Volunteer EMT

AOne

Evening Everyone,

I have been lurking on different EMT boards for a while and decided to take a shot at gathering additional information by creating an account. Getting to the point, I am considering volunteering with my local Fire Dept to become an EMT.

Are there any people that can speak specifically to the Fairfax County area? I am curious about expectations, dos and donts, how to approach the firehouse when requesting information, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

• Like 1

They are a good system. I was with Montgomery County in MD just across the river and we would run mutual aid with them every once and a while. Approach with lots of questions and an eagerness to help staff and learn and you'll be great. :)

• Like 1

Ok, is this really one of the biggest things you're worried about? Bringing donuts on the first day?

There are many more important things to worry about. For example, how do you get involved? How does EMT class progress? What can you expect from EMT class? How does a volly integrate with a paid system?

If your donut question was seriously the biggest thing on your mind then by all means take some in with you. At the same time, if that was really your biggest question I'm afraid you're going to be in for quite a shock when class starts.

Yes bring something to the firehouse on your first day.

Don't do dunkin donuts do bakery donuts.

Don't listen to paramedicmike he just wants to put ya down. Good luck and keep an open mind. Ask a lot of questions and don't be cocky. Wash some dishes and read your books.

Appreciate the feedback from both of you.

paramedicmike, perhaps my most important concern is not screwing up and contributing to someone dying. That and dead kids.

I am extremely green at this point. Honestly, I am uncertain of what to expect because I know nothing in this field/lifestyle.

I just want to contribute to my community in some regard, no hero worship seeking or looking for acceptance (codependency).

I am just looking for some helpful advice and perhaps, some insight into local culture (Fairfax County). One of your questions does stand out. How does a volly integrate into a paid system?

• Like 1

Now *this* would've been a great first post. Nice save.

Appreciate the feedback from both of you.

You're welcome.

paramedicmike, perhaps my most important concern is not screwing up and contributing to someone dying. That and dead kids.

Valid concerns.

Regarding dead kids, well, sometimes they happen. Fortunately, not often. But it does happen. I don't know that anyone can really prepare emotionally for being involved in a pediatric arrest. There's the kid, the screaming family and then there's you and your reactions.

To follow from this to your other concerns about not screwing up and contributing to a death there are a couple things to remember. There is very little you as an EMT can do to contribute to a death. Not that it can't happen. But the chances are small especially in a system like Fairfax County with ready available paramedic back up. To do the best you can to prevent this from happening pay attention in class. Learn as much as you can. Don't stop learning. Don't forget to call for help if you need it and use your resources.

Lastly, remember, we are *all* human. We will make mistakes. The sooner you come to terms with this the better off you will be.

I am extremely green at this point. Honestly, I am uncertain of what to expect because I know nothing in this field/lifestyle.

This is not a lifestyle. This is a job for many of us. It's a hobby for others. Please don't confuse the two. It's very easy to be consumed by EMS and let it eat you. Maintain a separation of your EMS life and your personal life.

I just want to contribute to my community in some regard, no hero worship seeking or looking for acceptance (codependency).

Good. You'll find, though, that many will be looking for the hero worship. Don't buy into the hype.

I am just looking for some helpful advice and perhaps, some insight into local culture (Fairfax County). One of your questions does stand out. How does a volly integrate into a paid system?

From what I remember of the Fairfax County system there is some decent integration of the two systems. There is, and there always will be, some tension between paid and volly staffing. Think about it. The paid guys are doing a job that you're willing to do for free. There's some perceived threat there. This isn't limited to just Fairfax Co. It's seen in a lot of systems especially in the greater DC metro area because a lot of counties there are similar in structure. Keep this in mind when interacting with your fellow vollies and the paid guys.

Just starting out, keep your head on a swivel. Learn as much as you can. Help out as much as you can. Keep your mouth shut as much as you can unless you see an obvious threat that nobody else seems to see.

And honestly? Skip the donuts. They don't need to put on any more weight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.