A few bucks for Dylan's cause?

DwayneEMTP

Hi everyone. I know that when I look back I see thousands of people perusing these threads. I'm hoping that I can convince just a few to participate. EMS is a pretty small brother/sisterhood, and this cause is important, maybe we can try and make a difference as a team? I don't benefit financially in any way from this.

Babs is on the board for the local Colorado Springs charity walk for Autism Speaks and she and Dylan are trying to raise money for that cause. Now, more than ever maybe, we need the research dollars. I'll post statistics below. There is just no significant, true, research being done on autism and it is suffocating because of that.

Autism Speaks is committed to science based research projects, as well as providing support to families using science based techniques. (My family doesn't benefit from any such programs. I'm motivated from a research perspective only.)

Look at this...

Did you know ...

• Autism now affects 1 in 88 children and 1 in 54 boys
  • Autism prevalence figures are growing
  • More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes & cancer combined
  • Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
  • Autism costs the nation $137 billion per year
  • Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases
  • Boys are four times more likely than girls to have autism
  • There is no medical detection or cure for autism

Prevalence vs. Private Funding

• Leukemia: Affects 1 in 1,200 / Funding: $277 million
  • Muscular Dystrophy: Affects 1 in 100,000 / Funding: $162 million
  • Pediatric AIDS: Affects 1 in 300 / Funding: $394 million
  • Juvenile Diabetes: Affects 1 in 500 / Funding: $156 million
  • Autism: Affects 1 in 88 / Funding: $79 million

(http://www.autismspe...ts-about-autism)

Dylan's page is, http://www.walknowfo...supId=362897320

I know that most of us don't believe that $20 can make much of a difference, but man, millions of dollars has been raised by folks giving just a few dollars at a time...

Thanks everyone, for any help that you can give...

Dwayne

When does he need the $$ by? I'll be in a better position to give some money at the end of the month :)

The walk is on 22/Sept...but any time when it's good for you to donate to this amazing charity is good Kate...

No worries...Hugs

Dylan is nearly the largest single fund raiser in Colorado Springs....That is cool as hell.

The vast majority of that money has come from just a few medics that I've never met face to face, but will never forget. But I will someday thank in person...I promise that. If you don't have a handicapped child then I have no idea if you can understand what it means for "the world" to speak to him and in essence say, "Don't worry little Brother. We've got you. Not matter what happens." It's life changing for me and my family.

Thank you all...standing up for autism, and just as important, my little man...well, I'm not sure what to say about that...Thank you.

ArticKat has been the largest single contributor. But the love felt in each contribution is not lost on my family....I'm not sure if I can convince you of the truth of that or not, but I hope that I can.

Dwayne