Rock Wall and Paramedic-Opinion

Richard B the EMT

During the last week, while off duty, an FDNY EMS Paramedic died in a fall from a cliff while mountain climbing, solo, in Colorado.

Yesterday, the FDNY EMS union local held it's annual picnic in a secluded area of a NYC public park, which included having several portable inflatable "bounce houses" and amusements for the children. One of the amusements was a "Rock Climbing Wall".

I can understand having the Rock Climbing Wall at the event, as it, along with the Bounce Houses, the large grills, the refrigerator truck for the food, and the guys tying balloons into animals, are arranged for long in advance of the event. The FDNY EMS Pipes and Drums would have played at the event, anyway.

The question, after the fact, became: While the Rock Climbing Wall had already been rented for the event, due to the timing, and the nature of the death of the department member, who will be buried later this week, at the time of this posting (Class A uniforms requested for attending members), should the wall have been set up?

Kudos to the Colorado Rescue personnel, who recovered the body.

I see no reason it shouldn't have been set up. As a climber myself I treasure every opportunity I have to share that passion with other people. If anything the presence of something geared toward developing interest in a passion of your fallen member should be seen as a fitting tribute.

Just my opinion of course.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I agree with Rock_shoes. A young man from here was an experienced Mountain Climber and died mountian climbing in Alberta. He loved it and encouraged young people to try out the sport. His parents have an annual bursery for the graduating class in his name. The medic who passed would probably see it as a good thing not bad.

happy

If it was something he loved it might be particularly fitting and touching for the family as the mourn and celebrate a life. They're the only ones who could really pass judgement on that though and if they don't have an issue than I think spending time on it distracts from the deceased.

Wolfman echos my thoughts. This paramedic died doing something he loved. Rather than consider it insensitive for the rock wall to be erected, I would consider it a tribute to his memory and the passion he enjoyed....especially if the FDNY would have mentioned it as such.

I think it was appropriate. Climbers love what they do. Just lost a friend myself, down in Peru... just found out 2 days ago that they were overdue and later the same day found out their bodies had been found. Gil Weiss, was his name. He started nursing school with me, did the first 2 semesters, and decided it wasn't for him...

Who was the FDNY person and where did they fall? News article? I'm curious as to who the crew was who did the recovery....

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN Student

Yeah, I'm with Rock and others....

And even if it was inappropriate I'd have been saddened to think that those that loved me would have focused on what is and isn't sensitive and/or politically correct instead of love and laughter and hopefully the few good memories that I left behind.

What would our options be? Stop teaching proper safe Rock Climbing? Stop teaching High Angle Rescue? Stop teaching Confined Spaces rescue?

Although it might seem in poor taste to the general public that are outsiders to the medium we live in, I think that it is perfectly appropriate. All of us who love to climb, or rappel as part of our jobs, understand the risk, and the cost of our desires.

I have no problem with the rock climb attraction.