Dormant but far from dead

Hey guys. Last time I was on here 2 months ago I was in a downward spiral after a bad ending of a relationship and the stress of paramedic classes. Well good news is I have put back most of the pieces together and im ready to re enter to forum with productive posts. So Im back to stay. And in less than five weeks I will be sitting for my national registry at the paramedic level and be starting pre nursing for my BSN to gear me up for med school.

Edited by runswithneedles
  • Like 3

Good on you Brother! Welcome back!

And as a welcome back present....watch your friggin' capitalization and punctuation! This isn't a teenage chatroom! Jesus Christ!

(See, you've missed that, right?)

Truly, good to have you back man...

Welcome back.

Do you want to be a paramedic, a nurse or a physician? Why are you using nursing school to gear you up for medical school? Are you taking the scenic route on purpose?

If you want to go to medical school get enrolled in a pre-med program at an accredited degree awarding university. The prerequisites for nursing school are different from medical school. Med school requires some pretty heavy hitting science coursework that is not required of nursing school. A solid pre-med program will offer you the opportunities for you to complete the med school pre-reqs that you need. You won't get what you need from nursing school to prepare you for medical school.

And what Dwayne said about punctuation, grammar and spelling.

i had noticed you had dropped out and an glad that you are back again. congratulations on your scholastic advancement. i hope you do well on your nremt test.

it is good to see you.

EDIT: I had noticed that you had dropped out and am glad that you are back again. Congratulations on your scholastic advancement! I hope you do well on your NREMT test.

It is good to see you.

Edited by DFIB
  • Like 1

be starting pre nursing for my BSN to gear me up for med school.

As have been mentioned, I can't think of any reason to go this route. Does your pre-nursing include physics, organic chemistry, general chemistry, and general biology courses? Don't make the mistake a friend of mine made and think that anything other than "general chemistry" and "organic chemistry" fullfills those courses (i.e. don't take a "Chemistry for _____" course)? If you want to go to med school, then go to med school and jump into your pre-med courses head first.

Welcome back.

Do you want to be a paramedic, a nurse or a physician? Why are you using nursing school to gear you up for medical school? Are you taking the scenic route on purpose?

If you want to go to medical school get enrolled in a pre-med program at an accredited degree awarding university. The prerequisites for nursing school are different from medical school. Med school requires some pretty heavy hitting science coursework that is not required of nursing school. A solid pre-med program will offer you the opportunities for you to complete the med school pre-reqs that you need. You won't get what you need from nursing school to prepare you for medical school.

And what Dwayne said about punctuation, grammar and spelling.

I'm still working on grammar and spelling. Its a slow tedious process but its getting better. And as far as why I'm doing it this way. Im using my paramedic to gain experience, a working knowledge of what I have learned, and financing my BSN along with my first car. Which to say the least not a junker. But a almost new Mazda RX-8. And yes you are correct the BSN does lack in several courses for a pre medical major however I will be taking the other courses in semesters where I have a low course load.Mostly the summers. Im acquiring my BSN because of the wage difference between medic and RN (which in west texas is relatively significant) and I will have some possibility of administrative positions in hospitals. But more importantly its a solid fall back in the event I should not succeed in getting into medical school.

As have been mentioned, I can't think of any reason to go this route. Does your pre-nursing include physics, organic chemistry, general chemistry, and general biology courses? Don't make the mistake a friend of mine made and think that anything other than "general chemistry" and "organic chemistry" fullfills those courses (i.e. don't take a "Chemistry for _____" course)? If you want to go to med school, then go to med school and jump into your pre-med courses head first.

The university I am attending does require those for the BSN

Along with micro-bio, genetics, and several others. I can bring a list back tomorrow since i'm consulting with them tomorrow.

Im using my paramedic to gain experience, a working knowledge of what I have learned, and financing my BSN along with my first car.

What is your end goal for all this "gaining experience" you want to do? Where do you think it'll take you?

Which to say the least not a junker. But a almost new Mazda RX-8.

Don't kill yourself in it. You're not as good a driver as you think you are.

And yes you are correct the BSN does lack in several courses for a pre medical major however I will be taking the other courses in semesters where I have a low course load.Mostly the summers. Im acquiring my BSN because of the wage difference between medic and RN (which in west texas is relatively significant) and I will have some possibility of administrative positions in hospitals. But more importantly its a solid fall back in the event I should not succeed in getting into medical school.

Have you looked at the admission requirements for medical school? Nursing school will not set you up for med school. If you want to be a nurse then go to nursing school. If you want to by a physician then go to medical school. If you choose to go to nursing school first, no matter how poor a decision that may be, you will merely delay your transition to being a physician.

So nursing is a solid fall back but your paramedic education isn't? Then why are you wasting time in paramedic school? Why aren't you already on to something that is more reliable for you?

The mere fact that you make it sound like you haven't researched this tells me that you don't know what you want (aside from a flashy car). Make a decision about what you want. Take the steps to get there. Don't take the scenic route. Don't fly off on tangents. Set your goal and make it happen.

The university I am attending does require those for the BSN.

Along with micro-bio, genetics, and several others. I can bring a list back tomorrow since i'm consulting with them tomorrow.

How about just telling us the name of the university that requires a full pre-med course load for nursing school.

While you're telling us that perhaps you can explain something else. You just claimed in one post that nursing school lacks the pre-requisites needed for medical school while later in the same post claimed that the school you'll be attending does require the same classes. Which is it?

I too am curious as to where you're planning on getting your BSN. You stated that you would be taking the pre-med requirements when your course loads were low and over the summer semesters, but then stated that they are a requirement. I am not aware of BSN curriculums that require physics and organic chemistry.

Until proven otherwise, I'd call BS on a BSN programme requiring proper gen and o-chem along with physics. Most nursing and allied health programmes mandate what are known as survey courses. These may share a similar name but will not transfer as a proper pre-med course.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.