How'd I do?

Ok so we were standing by for a children's triathlon

Patient was dizzy, and felt like she would puke (she had just finished)

outside temp was 60

A+O times 4...quite nervous, crying-had her cramp in her left side-9 yrs old female

Airway: unremarkable,

Breathing: Fast, shallow

Circulation: Pulse bounding, regular, and fast. skin condition very flushed in the face, hot, and moist

pupils: PEARL

Ate a sugary cereal this morning

No medications, medical history or allergies reported

Vitals: BP: 118/80 didnt get rest, because by the time i took the BP, the mother RMA for the child

Treatment: we gave her an Ice pack...parents gave her some juice and an orange to suck on...and some water....no adverse reactions to that

other than that, kept my hand on the patients shoulder, talked to her, ect

This is all the info my partner and I got prior to the RMA (RMA was prior to rig's arrival)

patient was a lot better when we checked up 10 min later

this was the first time I got to treat someone

Edited by musicislife

You did OK

My Kiwi sense tells me she has become nauseated because the increase in physical exercise has shunted blood away from her gastrointestinal system and she will feel better in a few minutes. The exact physiological mechanism I forget and I would go look it up but it is way more fun to get wasted on valium.

Good work mate, If we got her she'd at most get "you'll be fine" or at the extreme end of the scale an oral ondansetron wafer and sent off on her merry way

also thinking this could have been dehydration or hypoglycemia.(maybe not due to the sugary cereal, and her appropriate and normal responses to my person, place, time, and event questions)..what do you guys think?

Edited by musicislife

Sounds like normal post-excercise reaction to me... probably dehydrated some but that's not abnormal after exertion like that. Advise parents to give diluted gatorade and water and have some salty crackers or chocolate milk and she'll be fine. Probably not someone who would be getting any IV fluids or any other sort of advanced care so sounds like you did fine... no need to second guess yourself on this one :) Good job :)

yea the sugary drink helped her greatly, so did the ice pack and water

That was the direction I was heading with your information. Sounds like she was coming down from a sugar high.

wait were you thinking it was hypoglycemia or dehydration?

dehydrated? to what extend do you think? with a flushed skin that was MOIST? she has just ran a tri , so I would expect her pulse to be stong and bounding, and flushed in the face and hot to touch, after all she is exercising...It was pretty cool temp to run in, she had had food and fluid prior and during?

give her the oral fluids, cool her and offer reassurance....alll this you did so it was good

why give choccy milk if they feel nauseous? would not aid in guy motility? (spewing)....just a thought.

Dehydration is possible

Symptomatic hypoglycaemia only occurs in diabetics (or somebody with a massive insulin secreting tumor orsomething) a person who is not diabetic will never get so hypoglycaemic they have significant symps; you might colloquially get a bit "wonky" but that is not the same.

The body will maintain blood sugar at the normal level first by breaking down glycogen (glycogenolysis) and once all that is used up after about 24 hours will create glucose from non glucose sources namely ketones, denatured amino acids and fat (gluconeogenesis)