Will TEMS benefit?

I am not even finished with my EMT-B but I am looking forward. One my additional duties in my job is coordinator for our buildings medical response team. We have a "police " force here with an SRT (SWAT) and we have Soldiers doing guard duty also. (I am a Soldier with an Infantry background if that helps your decision)

With this in mind, looking at potential for something very bad happening to our building because:

1. We are military

2. We are near Washington, DC

3. We are close to Pentagon

Do those of you with TEMS training think it would be beneficial to me and the personnel on my team. Some of the team members have more medical background than I have, some have less. Some have almost none (CPR, AED). We take almost anyone who will volunteer to help others in time of crisis. I would not recommend this for all, just he dedicated who would be willing.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

Would it be beneficial? Yeah probibly.

But, just a thought. Talk with your SWAT commander, and see if you cant work a joint effort with he / she / shim. To actually work within the premise of a true TEMS unit will make the training really make a difference.

...and most importantly...are you hiring? Im looking for a change of scenery...

• 7 months later...

The army has established the need for Medical Simulation Training Centers at 18 different locations. These MSTCs focus training on both CLS and CMAST (Combat Medic Advanced Skills Training) utilizing the Tactical Combat Casualty Care principles. These are not your ordinary unit level courses. They ulilize scenario based excersices and human patient simulators both indoor and outdoor. The closest facility to your location is Fort Drum. Currently Fort Drum, Fort Bragg, Fort Hood and Fort Lewis are funded. I train out of Fort Lewis. Here we combine both CLS and CMAST students for lane evaluations to facilitate each group in understanding roles and responsibilities in combat operations. This might be the effective training you are seeking. Check with your Training NCO and look up the courses at Fort Drum or Fort Lewis for TDY or contact information (I won't share this online). Most of the information for these courses are non-classified and available in text format but the specific method of training at the MSTCs takes this to a different level.

SSG G-man, I agree with MSTC Medic. In addition, going through a military school is much easier regarding pay, travel, and logistical issues. My old unit sent me through several civilian schools such as CONTOMS, however, you run into allot of problems regarding payment and travel when you go through a non ATRRS course. However, if this is a strictly civilian role that you are taking on, a course that focuses on civilian law enforcement may help your team integrate into the civilian SWAT/SRT setting.

MSTC Medic, welcome to the city.

Take care,

chbare.

TEMS is a specialty like haz mat and high angle rescue, it's not for everyone and not everyone can do it. You can't take one course and that's it, you have to train on all aspects. you can't expect an open arms reception from the law. you have to prove yourself. Your best bet is low profile. Any miitary medic or corpsman can tell you, you got to earn the right to be called "doc", it's not automatic.You do good, life is good. Screw up, well just guess.

Shop for schools, if you can get into CONTOMS, more power to you. Look out though, there's folks that will sell you something that isn't TEMS. If there's a buck to be made they will.

Join ITEMS, good place to get info and share ideas.

Remember, TEMS main function is preventive medicine for the TEAM, and medical support of the TEAM, all else is incidental. Too many want the flash bangs and weapons. like the rest of EMS, The sexier the better.

Making sure guys pee is clear and they are warm and dry isn't sexy or exciting. But is can be a lifesaver!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.