Would you consider this a line of duty death?

Not put into the LODD section out of respect for those that have truly lost their lives in the line of duty.

If these men had been killed in this scenario, would you be comfortable listing them as a Line of Duty Death?

http://backstepfiref...stify-the-lodd/

I guess I am not sure. I would have to say my "knee jerk" reaction would be yes. I doubt that these guys wanted to put a fire out in Dresses but fear the judgment of the public if they did not. Imagine if they had just rolled right by the fire in a bright red fire truck. The public would be outraged that they did nothing.

In today's world it is hard to always know what to do, I think these guys would have ended up in the news no matter what.

I know that our department, ANY time you get in a fire truck, parade or not, you must have ALL of your PPE close at hand just in case something like this comes about.

Imagine this scenario. An ambulance, police car, and fire truck are in a parade. All the occupants are dressed as these folks. A fight breaks out, the police officer attempts to intervene and is killed. LODD? I would say so, and if so, what is the difference?

In conclusion I would say that what they did was pretty stupid and reckless but if, heaven forbid, they were killed, I would consider it a line of duty death. ONLY because there actions were to control the emergency on behalf of their agency. The public has certain expectations of emergency vehicles, Ambulances, fire trucks, police cars. If you are in the emergency vehicle the public has certain expectations of you.

• Like 1

So just why were they in dresses? Where they driving the fire trucks? and if they were driving the fire trucks just why were they driving the fire trucks in dresses? I'm confused.

If these dresses are department issued, do they get to pick out the colors and if they get to pick out the colors, do they get to pick out whether the dresses are frilly or just plain chiffon. do they get high heels or flats.

Chime in Fireguys. What kind of dresses are you gonna pick when you are notified that your new department issued uniforms also include prom dresses?

I thnk this is a good look for the fire departments. Instead of the boring old yellow and brown bunker gear you can now choose from hot pink and fire engine red dresses.

It's about time the fire service got into the 21st century at least in terms of fashion sense.

I can see it now, America's next top Fire fighter model. Hosted by Tyra "Smokey" Banks

Judges Simon "Knuckle dragger" Powell

Randy "Yo Dawg" Jackson

Stephen "Light me up" Tyler

Jennifer "Flame on" Lopez

And commentary by none other than Ryan "Burn me out" Secrest

Edited by Captain Kickass

Oh sweet jesus..

Bunker sandals, bunker shorts, baseball cap helmets, extrication tee-shirts, the Scott Invisible SCBA System.. Now nomex wedding gowns. What will they think of next? sarcasm

I'm thinking Bunker bikinis, at least their boobies and schnauzers will be well protected against the flames.

Edited by Captain Kickass

Kreamer, thanks for your response. And I certainly get what you're saying, but disagree.

But man, I'll tell you what, I'm so grateful that you made your argument without statements such as, "It's in our blood. Helping is what we do no matter the danger to us."

But lives should never he held less valuable than public opinion and/or property.

We can hypothesize that these men were fighting a fire to aid in an extraction, at which point I would be more on board, though there's still no reason really for them not to have gotten naked and into their turnout gear.

Without lives at stake I can't really imagine a scenario where this video didn't happen because of adrenaline and machismo instead of logic and professionalism.

I'm all for recognizing those that have given their lives in the persuit of doing good, when it was done in a professional manner. But not so much for every yahoo that chose a rush over good sense. Not sure if that's right or not...

An amusing story, I saw it this morning on CNN while I was waiting to have my oil changed.

They were dressed up for a parade, promoting a fund raiser. Although I would have advocated them having turn out gear stored somewhere on the truck for just such an emergency call, I cannot fault them for responding to the emergency at hand. That's part of the call when you're a volunteer.

So yes, Dwayne, I would be comfortable in listing them as LODD. Insurance issues would be other concerns, as I'm sure they (insurance companies) would mention the lack of personal protective equipment or lack thereof. :punk:

Ya know... I actually don't really have a problem with this. Now, before you get all up on me for that statement... hear me out. Would you have been as pissed if they were wearing blue jeans and pullovers? Is it just the dresses that got you, or is it the lack of PPE as a whole? You know insurance wouldn't cover them if this video came out and they had gotten hurt, and I'm sure they were aware of that as well... doesn't look like they put anyone else at risk... doesn't seem any different than any other off the clock "oh man, I gotta take care of this" moment other than the fact that they were dressed strangely.

I think they stayed a nice distance back... hell, 'bout what I would have done with a garden hose on a fire, and I don't own any PPE. I do wonder why their bunkies weren't on the truck, but you know, I don't always have my SAR pack with me when I'm driving the response rig in a parade or to an education presentation, either...

To be honest? If they had died, I'd have called it an LODD. How many LODD's have we seen directly related to stupidity, where we gnashed our teeth and lamented the idiocy, but granted them the dignity of calling their death an LODD anyway?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.