FDNY Ride Along...

miscusi

Sterile water type IV bag, perhaps?

Sterile water shouldn't come in bags for IV infusion; its not the same as normal saline; the first contains only water (H2O) while the latter contains sodium chloride solution (NaCl)

Now that I think of it, sterile water is more-than-likely relatively hypotonic compared to standard intravenous fluids (NaCl or Lactated Ringers) weird shit like Hexpan and gello excluded

I stock bags of NACL for irrigation, because you can fit more of them than large bottles; and then a few small bottles for the hell of it. Going by a picture and catalog number, I accidentally ordered sterile water in 250ml bags.. Instead of 250ml bottles. Came with red lettering for dilution of drugs. Returned it and got what I wanted, not what I ordered. Ha ha. If you pay attention to the bags, there are two types of "IV" type bags, which contain sterile water. I believe infusing someone with sterile water can cause them serious harm. However the bags for "injection" are meant for diluting drugs. Then there are other bags marked as a solution to be used for inhalation. Instead of a common in-line humidifier for oxygen masks or positive pressure devices; there is a device that self feeds by attaching a tube similar to a drip set to said bag.

I am not sure if you'd do somebody serious harm infusing sterile water; after all it's water (H2O) but it is most likely slightly hypotonic compared to normal saline; all it would do is cause a small fluid shift from the intracellular fluid so it's not like they'd drop dead or anything

I have neither a clue what Hypotonic means, nor am I required to know what it means. It does not fall into the scheme of things, where by I would use it in the duties I am educated and/or trained to perform. I was trained to look at the IV bag, before opening it, and verify it's the correct fluid. However, I doubt it would show up in an ALS bag, unless there were to be a purchasing error. Otherwise, I have no idea what anything that you said means. None whatsoever.

I have neither a clue what Hypotonic means, nor am I required to know what it means. It does not fall into the scheme of things, where by I would use it in the duties I am educated and/or trained to perform. I was trained to look at the IV bag, before opening it, and verify it's the correct fluid. However, I doubt it would show up in an ALS bag, unless there were to be a purchasing error. Otherwise, I have no idea what anything that you said means. None whatsoever.

See back in the day I'd have been like horrendously aghast and somewhat perturbed at that notion but now I'm like eh what the fuck ever

Carry on then sir :)

• Like 1

Then there are other bags marked as a solution to be used for inhalation. Instead of a common in-line humidifier for oxygen masks or positive pressure devices; there is a device that self feeds by attaching a tube similar to a drip set to said bag.
Wow, if I could get one of those self feed devices for the humidifier on the CPAP I use for my sleep apnea, instead of pouring in distilled water every other night...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.